Saying Goodbyes

Saying Goodbyes

By: Mimi Lam

Saying goodbyes are sometimes the hardest, yet, somehow. Makes you feel better.

'Sometimes, crying doesn't mean you're weak. It just means that you're strong enough to let go and say goodbye.'

The sky was in a deep shade of burgundy, and orange, clouds floating along, seemed to adapt the color. There were couples walking hand in hand, in a tight embrace, and some in tears.

I was not among these few people, but I know how it felt like. To be loved, and to be hurt by someone whom I fell deeply in love with. I was naive, full of innocence, I didn't know love can break through so many walls and climb through so many obstacles, just to have a space in my heart.

I'm Julianne Kane. And let me tell you about my heartbreaking story.

I was 16. Young, Free, Beautiful. That's what girls at this golden age are. This is also the time, where we learn to fall in love, and have fun with our soul mates. That is exactly what I did.

He, Michael Daniel was the new student of our class, charming, charismatic, and handsome. Everything that a girl wants their dream guy to be. But the only flaw that he has was the fact that he was a playboy. He played with girls heart, make them fall for him and then leave them, breaking their hearts into thousands of pieces. He did that to every girl in the class.

Then there was me, I never fell for any of his charms. My first impression of him was not so good, in my opinion; he was just some good looking guy, ready to break every single girl's heart. There was mischief in his eyes. So I knew that he wasn't for real. To date girls and fall in love.

And I was correct. After all his easy targets among the class, besides me. I was usually unseen, as in the invisible one. He changed his target towards me. Me. Him, as usual thought that I was some easy chick to pick on. And abandon me, after using me. Every time he asked me out, I politely declined. I declined every single offer, to date him.

That was, of course, before my parents died. I was at their funeral, breaking down into pieces, crying, and trying to hide. Hide myself from this world and to permanently shut myself away from this cruel world. And of course, luck was never on my side. He passed by, and guess what? He saw me. Breaking, Crying. At my most Vulnerable state. I wanted to keep this as a secret. And you know what he did? He blackmailed me, He swore to never tell anyone that he saw me in this state, in exchange, I have to go on a date with him.

And so I did.

It was a simple date, nothing special. He took me to a small fancy restaurant and we just had a small chat and a nice dinner. It was fine, I guess. I still didn't like him at that time, He made a better impression. I guess. And it was great, maybe that's the theory to prove that 'there's more than that meets the eye'.

He's a nice guy, I could conclude that. But I still didn't trust him, and I swore to myself that I would never fall for someone like him. He asked me out a few days later, I declined again, but he kept asking me out. So I gave him a chance, only one, And pray that he'll not waste it and throw it away like it's a piece of trash.

I didn't realize that I was falling for him. I didn't realize it. He brought me to restaurant and some fun places, like the theme park. I think my heart started beating faster since the last date, when he woke me up, by throwing pebbles towards my window. It was just 04:30 in the morning. And boy, was I pissed. But I followed him nonetheless. He took me to a deserted place near the hills, and showed me the beautiful sunrise. I never exactly woke up at this time to see the sunrise. Ever. So I found it wonderful. He confessed to me and told me that I was the first one to make him feel that way. (A/N:Whichever way it is.) And he said he loves me, and asked me to be his girlfriend. I was shocked. I accepted the proposal. And, we became officially boyfriend and girlfriend.