I shook my head in disbelief. I subconsciously rubbed the spot where I got my last shot.

"But... She was. Didn't she?" I stumbled for words

"They don't call me Machine Gun Ruger for nothing." He smirked. We fell into an awkward fit of laughter.

I wanted to know what happened to Eva. It must have been major if he needed my help. I was hardly someone to give out advice. My decisions so far have been pretty shitty.

I looked at him with curious eyes. He was staring off again. I followed his gaze. Luci had made her way over to Chase. She was squatting next to him as she eyed him intensely. Like she wanted to commit him to memory. Chase ignored her for the most part and continued dumping sand from the back of his toy truck. When she had enough, she removed his toy and grabbed his head before he could protest.

"Mine." She pouted. Poor Chase just sat awkwardly in her embrace.

I chuckled softly and looked to a clearly amused Ruger. He had recorded the entire encounter.

"Let him go, Luci." I said sternly. She shook her head and kissed his head. Chase, who clearly saw no way out, gently hugged her back.

"I guess they like each other." Ruger smiled.
****

"Seriously?" I gaped. Ruger nodded.

"He ran ass naked right out of the bathroom. The sales ladies ate it up." He chuckled at the memory.

"They should put more changing tables in men's bathrooms." I laughed.

"Tell me about it." He rolled his eyes.

"Start a petition." I tossed an m&m at him.

"What about this one?" He nodded toward Luci, who insisted on dipping her cookie into the frozen yogurt instead of using a spoon.

"Luci is a kisser." I frowned. "If she likes you, she'll kiss you, maybe even lick you."

Ruger laughed out. I eyed Luci, she was eating the salt off of a pretzel stick and handing the clean pieces to Chase. Ruger leaned in next to Luci and grabbed two pretzels. As if on cue, Luci licked his face.

"Luci, no." I groaned. Ruger laughed out before tossing one into his mouth.

"It's okay, at least some girl likes me." He chuckled bitterly.

"Speaking of girls, where is Chase's m-o-m?" I inquired casually.

"She said she wanted a break about six months back, quit her job, and never returned. They FaceTime every other day. She didn't even come see him on his birthday." He spoke sadly. You could tell his heart was just as broken.

"That's insane." I mumbled.

"She became shady out of nowhere. Whenever I would ask about you, she'd get defensive. I tried looking you up, you know and she flipped out. Eva said you didn't want anything to do with us and that we were better off without you. I got suspicious when you sent out that holiday card and she tried to hide it. I never really got to question her since she skipped out a couple months later, that's when I found all of your contact information." He finished his rundown with a drink of water.

"I honestly didn't at first. I felt played because the two people that wanted this kid bailed on me. I got over it though, until no one even mentioned the cards. Had I known you were reaching out to me, I would have tried a little harder." I confessed.

"Water under the bridge." He pulled me to him.

I never wanted to admit it, but Ruger was always a sense of comfort for me. Even when I was sceptical, he was supportive. A big brother of sorts. He never judged me for lashing out or babied me after my suicide attempt. He was just there. After Lucien forced me to quit work, Ruger would be the one to check on me. Eva rarely showed her face until it was time for an event she didn't want to attend. I never even considered his feelings when I moved away. My only thought was shielding myself from further betrayal.

But being around him again made me realize how wrong I was. He was the only one that was truly there. Now that he needed me, I was going to try my hardest to be there for him.

"So about that pumpkin patch."

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Ruger has a child?

What do you think he needs Harper for?

What's wrong with Eva? Is there a valid reason? Is she just jealous?

Do you think Eva knew she was pregnant?

What do you think about Harper and Ruger's relationship? Will it cause problems in the future?