Chapter 27

Kerr struck sooner than anyone expected. Kerr and his boys struck one day while Nate and Zihana were out on a ride. They were running their horses over the beautiful landscape when they had to pull up short as they crested a hill. Zihana let her horse drop back behind Nate's. Nate rode forward and stopped his horse so that he could study his family. Nate leaned forward and crossed his arms across the pommel of his saddle.

Kerr's lip curled in repulsion as he gazed at his youngest son. "Well, well, well. What do we have here? My wayward son and his lady friend."

"It's a good thing ye changed yer words Father."

"And what would ye have done! Nothing!" Kerr spat out while his six moved restlessly behind him.

"I would have defended my own."

Nate's oldest and meanest brother urged his horse forward. "Ye were never strong enough to defend what is yers."

Nate gazed cooly at Kenzie. "I am perfectly able to defend Zihana. At least I can stand on my own n a fight. I don't need my brothers to back me up."

Dewitt stopped Kenzie at he went to surge forward. "Nay brother. He is not worth it."

Kenzie sneered at Nate before he eased his horse back behind Kerr. Nate's other brothers glared at him as if they wanted to ride over and strangle him. Nate gazed at them cooly.

Kerr glared at Nate. "This isn't over with boy. Ye better watch yerself and those ye call yer own."

"I plan on it."

Kerr threw Nate one more poisoned looked before he turned his horse around and galloped away. His sons followed him. Nate watched them until they disappeared from view. He turned and looked at Zihana. Zihana eyed him warily before she turned her horse around. Nate followed her till they reached the stables.

Nate and ZIhana left the stables and went in search of Nate's grandparents. They found them in the garden with Zihana's parent and the Campbells. Nate relayed what had happened. Once he was done Bryant shook his head.

"That man is trouble."

Arlan nodded. "He always was. I guess we'll need to come up with a plan on what to do."

Bryant sighed. "I'll invite the Constable to dinner give him a heads up on what's on."

Zihana leaned against Nate. "This is a whole big mess."

Nate chuckled as he leaned down and kissed the top of her head. "Welcome to my world sweetheart. Welcome to my world."