Immediately, the other men began to make suggestions. One wanted to take a walk in the park. Another offered a carriage ride. Nathaniel would die before he fought for anyone's attention so viciously.

"Levi." The words came from Amy's lips and were shouted toward the entrance.

All the noise stopped, and every eye was on the well-dressed gentleman at the door. He paused in his movement. It was obvious by his position that his plan had been to walk past the door. A forgotten set of papers in his hand. His bright blue eyes stared at Amy, and then he straightened. "Is there anything I can do for you, Miss Ott?"

She stood, "Yes, I was wondering if you could point me in the direction of a vase for my flowers." The question made it known that he worked in the house and was not a threat to Nathaniel having Amy for himself.

Levi blinked a few times. The request was obviously not one he usually received, "A vase?"

Her smile brightened, "Please."

The gentleman glanced around the room and then gave a slight bow in her direction. "Anything for you." Nathaniel didn't like those words. If anyone were to promise Amy anything she desired, it would be him. Except marriage. He banished the thought.

Levi strolled into the room, extracted the garden from Amy's lap and then proceeded to leave the room. One down, a dozen to go.

Nathaniel turned to the room and thought of the best way to get rid of the rest of the men. He sighed and decided he'd simply have to destroy any chance these men would have at capturing Amy's hand. He decided to start with the youngest and currently the closest man to Amy. "Lord Rodger."

The man's wide eyes turned up to him, "Y-yes, my lord?"

"I'm sure your mother is glad to know you're presently attempting to court a woman."

Rodger blinked, "Why, yes, she is—"

"For, I'm sure Amy's dowry will clear all those horrible debts that your family has accumulated in the last year."

He looked away. "Well, I mean—"

"And your mother would be able to resume her extensive shopping before, of course, you all run out of money again." He relaxed against the back of Amy's chair, "Tell me, do you still possess Farmington House?" Farmington house had been their home in the country, an estate that was now owned by the bank.

Roger stood from his chair. "Uh—" He looked at Amy's shocked face and then at Nathaniel. "I believe I'm to meet my mother for the morning meal."

"Good idea," Nathaniel said to his retreating back. His eyes roamed the room for his next victim. Many of the men here were hoping for a payday. They saw Amy and saw money. He decided then that he'd begin with the eldest gentleman in the room. "Lord Franklin."

Lord Franklin, a man with black hair graying at the temple, stood and bowed, "No thank you, my lord. I think I will find my own way to the door."

"And a good morning to you," he smiled as the man left.

The last few men got up and left them, some mumbling under their breaths, but no one dared say anything to Nathaniel's face. As the last man left, Nathaniel turned to Amy and saw the anger on her face.

She stood staring at him, "How dare you?"

He frowned, "How dare you."

Her eyes went wide, "What did I do?"

His hands went in the air. "You practically had a harem present in this room and not a chaperone around. Does anyone care if you were compromised?"