Anyone with information about the whereabouts of the Raven is asked to call..."

"They're asking humans to go after a rogue witch? Are they completely out of their minds?" I shook my head. "They should have told them to lock their doors and stay inside. This is so typical. The human police think they know everything."

"Well, they didn't exactly ask them to go after him," Ryan offered.

I looked daggers at him and hurried into my room. I had to get to the Circle's headquarters and find out what the hell really happened.

I broke my personal record. It took me less than forty minutes to get there, and I accomplished it only by breaking at least ten international traffic rules. Imagine my face, when the secretary told me that Brown would only arrive in about half hour. It was a bitter disappointment, mildly put.

* * *

I was on rebound, sipping at my cappuccino, waiting for my boss to show up. How could the Raven break out of prison and escape just like that? He was a rogue witch. That meant they kept him at one of the Circle's own prisons, buildings that were magically sealed by centuries-old magic maintained through the most powerful of the magical community. As far as I knew the great three witches themselves cast the spells keeping the rogues from escaping. Only thinking about them made me shudder.

The great three witches were the governing body of the Circle in America. Hell, they were the Circle. They were the most powerful magical beings in North America – at least among those working for the Circle, which pretty much included everyone powerful enough to fit into the category in the first place. Ergo, the great three witches were the most powerful in this part of the world. Compared to them, Brown was a raw recruit.

A noise, a jingle. I looked up and found Brown stepping out of the mirror device, the magical "elevator" we used for transportation within the headquarters. I hurried to meet him halfway.

"I heard it on the news. What the hell happened?" The words came out of my mouth in a hurry.

"Good afternoon, Anna," Brown said.

From the look on his face he was either surprised to see me, or confused because he hadn't understood a word I said.

"Good afternoon," I said, trying my best to collect myself.

The news of Raphael Medici being on the loose rattled me more than I liked to admit. What kind of power level did someone need to break spells set by the great three witches?

"So, what about the Raven? How did he manage to break out of prison?"

Brown looked at me with the calmness of a century old vampire. Like we weren't in the middle of a crisis that could mess with whatever illusion of peace we had tried to keep up. My nerves were on the edge of all edges. The need to solve this puzzle, to move, to do something, was compulsive. Action was the only thing that helped me keep my balance, preventing me from falling over that damned edge.

Gustav Brown was looking at me like he wasn't even bothered by it. How was he able to keep his composure? He was like a freaking frozen lake. Throw in a stone, wait two seconds and it just looks the same.

"Why don't we go into my office for a moment?" Brown suggested, his light blue eyes resting on me.

I took a deep breath and nodded, following him mutely. Once inside, he sat down behind his chair, folding his fingers on the writing desk.

"Anna. I understand that you're concerned about the Raven, but you have to leave the matter to us. It's the responsibility of the Circle to take care of this... problem, and the CF has already been assigned to investigate."

I shook my head. "I know that, but, Brown, all I'm asking for is some information on how the Raven managed to break out. It's not like I'm volunteering to go after him. The three great witches know, I got enough on my plate already."

Brown ran his fingers through his hair. It was abnormally messy for the otherwise neat hairstyle of the witch. Maybe the news did bother him, after all.

Brown sighed. "All I can say is this: Information on how he escaped is obscure and incomplete. We're still investigating in the case. If you are worried about your safety, I can assign someone to guard your apartment for a while. You want me to arrange that?"

I blinked at him.

"My safety? Have you seen the news? The human police are virtually recruiting humans to look for a rogue witch, and you're concerned about my safety?" My shoulders dropped in defeat. "I don't get why they even broadcast it."

Brown ignored my statement completely. "After all, you and Alexander were the ones who caught him," he said.

I shook my head. "No. absolutely not. Besides, the Raven is already over the hills and far away, probably slurping a Piña Colada somewhere in the Caribbean."

Brown shook his head. The smile that crept on his face was a knowing one, reeked of mild amusement. "I've been analyzing that criminal's every move for a long time, Anna. Raphael the Raven won't run and hide like your common delinquent. He's not the type to give in easily.

"In fact, quite the contrary. Medici knew that, starting from the moment he stepped out of his cell, he was going to become New York's most wanted criminal again. Think about what he's done in the past, Anna. How does the mind of a criminal like him work? Remember, that for the first time in history humans know about the existence of witches and vampires. This is like the ultimate challenge for him. Show New York and the world that no one, not even the Circle can hold him. He's going to wreak havoc and raise hell just to prove a point."

I looked at my boss in disbelief. Could he be right? Could anybody be that sick and stupid at the same time? It was madness. Over the last few weeks I had seen it in various forms and shapes. I didn't like to admit it, but what I saw made me believe that anything was possible in that department.

"So, what about your safety? Do you want me to assign someone to protect you?" Brown asked.

Protect me? I froze. Someone to watch over me and accidentally find out that I was paying the head vamp regular visits? No. Not an option.

How to get myself out of this one? It wouldn't make sense to reject the offer just like that. For a moment my mind was blank.

I gave him a look. "How long have you known me? No. I don't think that I'm in any danger. When it comes down to it, it was Alexander who wounded and caught Medici. If anybody should be concerned about his safety, it's the head vamp of New York himself."

"Fine. That's up to you, but I want you to be careful and, most importantly, I want you to let the CF handle this. We will track him down as fast as possible."

I nodded grimly. My boss was a bit too optimistic, if not delusional. A fast arrest of the Raven was as probable as a blue moon in the sky. It took Brown years and years to finally catch the rogue witch, and he only managed to do so with the help of Alexander.

Admitting defeat, I said goodbye. I got up, and turned around, on my way to the door.

"And, Anna?"

I turned around. "Yeah?"

"Next time just give me a call, okay?"