I nodded my head before rested it against the headrest, with Anne-Marie still rubbing my shoulders. The only thing I'm worried about with my waters breaking is that if they're still breeched, then I'm going to have to go into surgery to have a C-section. Which means limited mobility for the next six weeks.

*

After we arrived at the hospital, everything became a flurry of chaos. Nurses and doctors were rushing around looking after patients. And as Dr Michelle wheeled me down the corridor, I kept trying to look in the rooms to see if my parents were in one of them. However, my nosiness got me nowhere as they were nowhere to be seen.

The pain in my stomach kept gripping me at unexpected moments. And in those moments, I wanted to just push. But from my antenatal classes, I knew I couldn't until they made sure the babies were fine and I was dilated. I wasn't looking forward to pushing two babies from my cervix but I knew I didn't want to go through a C-section. I much preferred to be up and ready to look after my sons from the get go.

Dr Michelle pushed me into a maternity room and then helped me sit on the bed until they were able to get my clothes off me. As this happened, Anne-Marie waited outside. I guessed she was uncomfortable with the whole thing.

Once my clothes were off, one of the nurses assisting Dr Michelle placed a hospital gown on me, as Dr Michelle told me to place my legs up on the stirrups so that she could check how much I was dilated.

"Good news," she began before popping her head out from under the gown. "You're only 2 cm dilated. And your sons aren't in the breech position anymore. I can feel the top of one of their heads," she concluded as she took her gloves off.

"So, it should be a plain sailing birth?" Conor asked as I took my legs off the stirrups.

"It should be, but we'll have to monitor you," Dr Michelle clarified.

"How are my parents?" I warily asked.

"Go get Anne-Marie, Conor, please?" Dr Michelle pleaded.

"I'll get her, Dr. I'm heading out for now," one of the young nurses commented as she headed for the door.

Dr Michelle nodded and then set her sights back on me before letting out a big sigh. "What you're going to hear, all of you, isn't going to be easy," she started after Anne-Marie was at my side. "The crash was quite severe, and the injuries sustained by your dad, are going to impact upon his life gravely, if he survives."

"What do you mean, if he survives?" Anne-Marie butted in.

"When the car crashed, your dad was barricaded in the driver's seat. The steering wheel was pressing up against the top half of his legs and the car was mangled, making it extremely difficult for the fire crew to get him out. The glass from the windows, had cut your dad, and the pressure from the steering wheel caused him to bleed quite extensively. We got him into surgery to stop the bleeding in his legs. However, the full body x-ray showed that he has broken ribs, a broken pelvis and a fractured femur. We placed your father into an induced coma because the injuries were quite extensive and we wanted to give him a chance to heal properly without any more stress. The bad news is we don't know if he's going to come out of it," Dr Michelle explained.

"And my mum?" I asked through the lump in my throat.

"Your mum didn't get the full impact of the crash, as you probably seen from the wreckage – assuming you were there. Therefore, your mum has a broken wrist, concussion and minor cuts and scratches."

"Do you think the crash was deliberate or accidental?" Conor asked a little quiet.

"Honestly, I've seen some major car accidents, but this is nothing like I've seen before. Especially not in my whole 16 years of being a doctor here in America. So, yes, I do believe that someone wanted to seriously harm Neil and Melissa," she openly admitted.