Chapter 1: The Calm Before the Storm

"Hey, I'm going to pick up a few hours at work." Jonathan said from behind me.
I jumped. "You scared the hell out of me, Jon." I breathed and placed a hand to my heart.

"Sorry, but did you hear what I said, Kass?" He asked.
"Yeah you're gonna pick up a few hours at work." I repeated. "Don't worry I'll make sure Will's fed and doesn't kill himself doing something stupid."
"Good. Listen you have to have a clear head, okay, Will needs you today." Jonathan chided.
I nodded slightly. "I got it, Jon, I'll take my pills."
"You're the best, you know that?" Jonathan quickly kissed my head, grabbed an apple, and left.
As I turned back to the pan in front of me, I heard the door close. I sighed, it was just me and Will today, or rather just me.
Once the food was done I walked down the hall. "Will, get up!" I called, knocking on the door.
"Good morning, Kassidy." Will popped his head. "I'll be there in a second."
I nodded and left.
Will was twelve so he didn't know about me yet. He had never known a time without me, but Jon knew.
"So whatcha' up to today, kid?" I asked, placing a plate of bacon and eggs in front of him.
"Going over to Mike's to meet guys and play D&D." He rushed out excitedly. He loved hanging out with his friends.
"That sounds cool." I took a seat across from him, secretly slipping a pill into my mouth when he wasn't looking.
"Are you not eating?" He asked.
I shook my head. "I already ate." I lied. I couldn't bring myself to eat today and it's only 9:30. I didn't eat most the time, my doctor said it's a sideaffect.
He shrugged obviously satisfied with the answer. "You're coming with me right?"
"I hadn't-" He cut me off. "Come on, you have to, Kass, you always hang out with us." He pleads.
He had a point I've spent more of my Saturday's and Sunday's watching them play their dumb game.
I didn't feel up to going, but I can't say no to him. "You're right what was I thinking." I laughed. "Of course I'm going."
His smile brightened. "Good because you know the guys would have hunted you down otherwise." He said with a slight chuckle.
"Very true." I agreed. "Now hurry up and eat your breakfast I want to get to the library before it closes." I got up and went to look for my purse.
"Where's Mom and Jonathan?" Will called from the kitchen.
"Mom's working all day and Jon picked up a couple extra hours at work." I called back finally finding my purse.
"Did you steal my library card again?" I asked, as he came out of the kitchen.
"No why?"
"I can't find it." I continued to search through my wallet.
"Maybe that's because you left in the book you have to return today." He muttered handing a book with my card sticking out to me. "I mean I do assume there is only one Kassidy Byers, right?"
"As far as I know." I answered, locking the front door.
We set out for the library. I was only sixteen so I didn't have a license yet, and sadly unlike my brothers I hadn't even the slightest clue as to how to ride a bike so I walked everywhere. Besides Jonathan had taken the car.
"Why do you love that game so much?" I asked as we walked, well I walked he rode his bike. We were playing one of my least favorite games the question game.
"Because it's fun." He replied. "My turn. Why did you lie this morning when you said you'd already eaten?"
"Because," I sighed. "I don't know, Will, I just wasn't hungry and I knew you'd try to convince me to eat." I half lied. Will was a kid he didn't need to worry about anything. He just needed to be a kid and have as much fun as possible.
"My turn!" I clapped my hands together trying to think of something good. "Do you really like Jennifer Haynes, or do you just say that so the guys will let you be?"
"No she's pretty." Was his only response.
We'd reached the library atlast, but trouble waited at the doors.
"Well if it isn't the Byer's boy and his freak sister." Troy pushed himself off the wall. "Where's Toothless, Midnight, and Frogface? Did they finally decide to jump off the quarry?"
"Shut up, Troy." I said. Troy's bullied my brother and his friends for years.
"Or what you'll snitch to my big brother, Kassidy?" He remarked. "I'm not afraid of him."
Troy's minion James spoke up. "Leave her out of this. She's no fun to mess with."
I furrowed an eyebrow. "James, darling, if you don't want to lose that tongue I suggest you don't use it." I spoke calmly. What's the use in getting upset, I mean, that's what he wants. "As for you, Troy, grow up." I grabbed Will's hand and pushed past them.
"I can't believe you are friends with his brother." Will stated quietly as we looked at books.
"Believe me kid sometimes I can't either, but we were friends for quite awhile before he turned into a jerk."
"On the up side Troy did leave us alone for a little while after he found out." Will laughed, covering his mouth quickly due to the quietness of the library.
I nodded. "Always looking for the good side." I ruffled his hair. "We better go, or you won't get to play a full game."

........

The Wheeler's house wasn't far from our house which was a good thing.
"Hurry up, Kass, Lucas and Dustin are already here." He hopped off his bike and made his way to the door, knocking excitedly.
Mrs. Wheeler came to the door at the same time I did. "Will, Kassy, you're late. I was told to send you to the basement immediately." Karen said with a smile. She was a kind lady who would do anything for her kids, yet they couldn't see that.
"Thanks Mrs. Wheeler." Will was to the basement door in two seconds flat. "Ya coming?"
"In a sec." I said. He nodded and slipped behind the slowly shutting door.
Karen turned to me concerned. "Kassidy, are you alright? Have you-"
"I'm fine, Karen, thanks." I cut her off.

I finally made it down to the basement just in time to hear the curly haired child cuss. "Dustin, what'd I say about language?" I questioned, walking down the last steps.
"Kassy!" Mike exclaimed. He ran over and hugged me the minute I reached the last step.
"Someone's happy to see me." I laughed.
"Guys the games on pause no one cheat." Dustin said, getting up at the same time as Lucas. They tackled me in a hug together.
"You guys never hug me." I said. "What's the matter?" I asked not believing they were all so happy to see me.
"I always hug you." Mike and Lucas defended.
"That's because I've known both of you since you were very very little, but you're never this happy to see me."
"The truth is," Mike began. "Lucas thinks Dustin's cheating." See the thing is Mike could never lie to me.
"And these two won't believe me when I tell them because they're dummies." Lucas added. "So you can tell us if he is actually cheating or if I'm just saying he is."
"I see now." I sat on the couch, leaning forward to see the board easier. "But if he continues to cuss I'm going to smack him upside the head."

......

"Remind me again why you play this game for ten hours straight?" I said, breathing in the cold November air. They'd finished their game and now we're standing outside saying goodbyes.
"Because we like it." Dustin answered. "Remind me again how you could read for ten hours straight."
"Nice one, Dustin." Mike congratulated his friend.
"I'm glad you two get pleasure out of this." I laughed. The cold November air hitting me made me shiver. Wait, what'd I do with my jacket? "I left my jacket inside, I think." I started to make my way to the house when Lucas threw something at me. My Jacket.
"Kassidy Byers, you'd lose your head if it wasn't attached." He chuckled, shaking his head.
I glanced down, remembering I was supposed to go somewhere today. I knew Jonathan would be mad in the morning, but better him than Joyce. "Hey, Will, do you think you can find your way home without me?"
"Yeah. Why?" He answered.
"I forgot I had to do something earlier today." I shrugged.
"We'll be fine." Dustin said. "It's not like the Demogorgon is going to come to life and get us."
"You never know. I'll see you at home, Will." I said and hugged him.
"Love you, Kass."
"Love you too, kid." With that I left.
If I'd have known then what would happen I never would have left him alone.

#########################################
That's the first chapter. I hope you enjoyed it and feel free to comment.
Kassidy has quite a twisted story and I can't wait to share it with you guys.
Until next time. - Izzy