Mae

"So, uh, how long does a meeting with the elders take?" I asked Mae feebly, straightening out my shirt and tucking a lock of hair behind my ear. The thought that James, who's freaky eyes had pretty much scared the crap out of me, was in the house, was having two very different affects on me. First, a whole herd of butterflies was trampling rough my stomach, and I could totally believe Mae when she said that fate was making us feel strange towards each other.

On the other hand, I was sort of panicking. All my life I had been raised to believe that one day I would find a guy. Things would be awkward at first, but we would date, we would fight, we would do all sorts of things. But now, Victoria Falls had dumped a whole crapload of shizz on me, and I was stuck being in love with someone I barely knew.

Can you imagine just seeing someone on the street and falling head over heels for them? It's not nearly as peachy as it seems, aside from the fact that I already felt more for this James than I did for my mother.

That's not even remotely okay.

"Depends on the argument. This one might take a while." Mae seemed to relax in front of me, convinced that I was neither a mermaid or a fairy. It had crossed my mind a time or two to tell her about my ability to peek into the future, but something stopped me.

I didn't know her, and no matter how much my insides were rejoicing at my location, I knew that this wasn't a consensual thing. I was being kept here for a werewolf guy who was arguing with old people about my fate. Not even the best tummy tingles in the world could make that sound or feel any better.

And at the moment, the only advantage I had on these super human freaks was my precognition. Maybe if this mate attraction thing was as strong for James as it was for me, I could just bat my eyelashes and make him leave me alone.

"So what am I supposed to do in the mean time?" I asked slowly.

"Uh, I dunno. I can't leave you, because when James first claimed you it was a big mess. You ran away screaming, and blah blah blah. But then you blacked out, and James was able to carry you back here. You were asleep for a good four hours, but now you're awake, and I can't leave you alone." why did she sound like a blabbering child all the sudden?

"Oh."

"Yeah. And wait, why did you black out again?" she added on thoughtfully, and I had to act fast.

"You mean that wasn't a side affect of a human finding out she's a werewolfs mate?" I asked blankly, looking at her with a confused expression. Well, a fake one, anyway.

"It might be. But it's never happened before, so I really have no idea what's 'normal'." she mumbled.

I ran my hands through my hair exasperatedly, only to find that it was still up in a ponytail from earlier today. It was loose and messy, yes, but it was still in tact.

"Is there a bathroom around here?" I finally asked.

"Just down the hall. Though I'm warning you, we werewolves have incredible hearing, and I'll know if you're trying to escape." Mae yawned.

"Duly noted." I assured her.

The hall wasn't really a hall, per se, but rather a long stretch of unoccupied space that was constantly interrupted by big archways. The bathroom was easy enough to locate because it was the only room with an actual door.

It had a single window, however, right above the toilet. If I was lucky I could probably fit my whole leg through before getting stuck. Even if I managed to escape, this place had so many windows I wouldn't get two steps. Oh, and lets not forget about what Mae had said about superhuman hearing.