10.| Romance and Rogues

"You don't happen to have any of your Defence work from last year, do you?"

"Nope."

"Burnt it as soon as we had the chance."

"Mum said to keep it for Ron and Ginny but we had about one roll of parchment of work between the two of us so we didn't see the point."

"Percy?"

"Charlotte."

"Can you help me with my Defence stuff."

"I'm about to go on duty."

"Detention for me it is then."

"You say that like it's a bad thing."

"It'll be detention with Mum."

"What's so terrible about that?"

"Shut up, Fred."

"Nah, you're all right."

"You have tonight to do it, y'know."

"George, stop waving your fork around when you speak because you're getting mashed potatoes on me."

"Sorry, Gin."

"Katie, have you done the Defence essay?"

"Shoot."

"Need help with your Defence homework?"

"I'm all right actually, Cormac."

"Lolu, pass us the cake."

"There's some by Hermione, Lee."

"Oh. Hermione, pass over the cake."

"Percy, where's your duty?"

"The first floor."

"When do you finish?"

"Curfew."

"Bummer."

"We could talk about it while I walk up. I'm meant to be meeting Penelope there in a bit but she's only now just sat down to eat her food."

"Let me finish this mouthful then."

Charlotte was in a bit of a frenzy to get her Defence essay finished in time for first lesson the following day. At the evening feast, she asked everyone around her for help. However, Fred, Lee and George didn't have the work, Katie hadn't done it and Cormac - well, she wasn't going to give him the satisfaction of being helpful.

She didn't care that she'd be getting a detention if Percy's help was of no use - it was with her mother after all - she just didn't want to face her mother's wrath when she was in her monthly state of worry.

"What do you have to do?" Percy asked as the pair left the Great Hall.

"One foot and six inches on boggarts," Charlotte explained, reaching into her bag and pulling out what she'd already written, as well as a refillable quill. "I only have four inches though."

"How come you're able to do the twins' work but not your own?"

"Because they don't really try in lessons, so it doesn't have to be perfect."

"Why don't you ask your mother for help?" Percy asked.

"Because she's told me I need to start doing my work myself," Charlotte said, "which personally I think is really hypocritical of her because Dad always did her homework. Granted, that was probably because she always did her brother's homework but still."