"Yeah," Madison gave her a small smile before rushing down the stairs and out of the church. "I feel like I'm related to half this goddamn city."

-

It was dark now, the stars shone brightly in the dark sky and the moon, half hidden by the clouds, illuminated her pale skin.

Madison sat on the ground, next to the spot where they had buried Esther, tears flowing freely down her face.

"Madison?" Rebekah called out. "What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be with Davina?"

"Seeing Davina like that reminded me of when I was dead. When I came back, I couldn't feel anything and the only thing I wanted was to get out of this goddamn city," she wiped the tears from her hazel eyes. "Not much has changed since then. The only difference is now I can feel. I can feel everything. And it fucking sucks."

"You know, if you're planning on skipping town, I could use a travel buddy."

Madison let out a light laugh, "Thank you, Rebekah, really. But we both know that we work better alone."

The Original stepped forward, holding her arms out to hug the Supreme. Madison hugged her back, knowing she would truly miss her.

"Promise me you'll visit with your gorgeous little girl," Rebekah whispered. Madison began to cry once more. "And if you don't promise me you'll tell her stories of her crazy Auntie Bex, and make sure she knows that even despite my absence, I do love her so very, very much."

"I promise," Madison sniffled.

"Goodbye, Madison Montgomery," the Original smiled softly. "Do try to stay alive."

-

Madison slowly made her way over to the bonfire where Hayley was sat, a knot forming in her stomach.

"Madison, what are you doing here?" Hayley stood up and made her way over to her pregnant sister.

"I came to say goodbye," the blonde said after a long moment of silence.

"But you can't leave, we're only just getting to know each other," she shook her head. "And you're pregnant. What does Klaus have to say about this?"

"He doesn't know."

"What're you gonna do, make him come with you?" The werewolf's eyebrows furrowed together in confusion.

"No, I'd never make him abandon this city, by after all he's done to get it back," Madison refused to look at her sister, instead her hazel eyes focused on the bright flames of the bonfire. "I'm going on my own."

"You're gonna raise a baby by yourself?"

"My mom did it," the Supreme shrugged. "I'm sorry, Hayley. I want to stay, I do, but it's not safe."

"You know, you can always visit. I'm really good at keeping secrets," Hayley reached out and grabbed Madison's hand, giving it a gentle squeeze. "Please be careful. You're the only family I have left."

"No I'm not," Madison glanced around at the Bayou. "These wolves are your family, and when you break that curse, they're gonna need a leader. And I can't think of a better leader than you."

Hayley smiled to cover up the fact that she was about to cry and wrapped her arms around her sister, the tears falling from her bright eyes. She didn't pull away for a long time, not wanting to say goodbye to the family member she had spent so long searching for.

-

Madison paced around her bedroom, mentally preparing herself for what was to come. She didn't want to go, but she couldn't stay either.

"Are you planning on going somewhere?" Elijah raised his eyebrows, spotting the half filled suitcase on the bed.

"I'm sorry."

"You said I was like your father," Elijah recalled after a moment of silence.

"I never had one, but from what movies taught me, fathers and daughters don't always get along," Madison shrugged, "but that doesn't mean that they're not family. And just because I'm going away doesn't mean we won't look out for each other."

"Madison, are you sure this is the right thing to do?" The Original frowned. "This child might be Niklaus' redemption, and taking that away might just drive him off the edge."

"If I stay this child will die. That would do far worse than driving him off the edge."

"Do you truly believe that what you're doing is the right thing?" Madison nodded silently. "Then who am I to stop you? Just, promise me one thing, promise me you and your child will stay safe."

Soon after Elijah left, Klaus entered, a mixture of confusion and hurt on his perfect face.

"What are you doing?" He asked even though he already knew the answer.

"Rebekah was right, our baby is going to inherit all of our enemies. And you were wrong. I am just like my mother," Madison wiped the tear from her eye, shoving more clothes into her suitcase. "That's why I'm leaving."

"Where are you going?"

"I don't know, I just can't be here anymore." She zipped up the case. "I'm sorry."

"Are you coming back?" He looked so hurt – so vulnerable.

"I, um, I don't know."

"And what about the baby?" The tears in his eyes threatened to spill. "You're just going to keep me from seeing my child?"

"If I have to," she shrugged. "I'm sorry, okay? But we both know that this city is too dangerous to raise a child in. Besides, you and I both know that people like us don't get happy endings."

Her soft lips pressed against his, moving in perfect sync. She would miss that. She would miss him. Madison knew it wouldn't be forever, but it sure as hell felt like it was going to be.

It was only when she was saying goodbye that she realised how much she loved him. She loved him so much that she almost stayed. The truth was, she wasn't ready to leave.

But it was in their daughter's best interest. So Madison wiped her eyes and grabbed her suitcase, and she did what she had become awfully good at doing – Madison Montgomery ran for her life.

Eventually, the days had turned to weeks, and the weeks had turned to months. Madison had kept Klaus updated – in letters and parcels and the very rare phone call.

She had promised to do this as long as he promised to stay away. But one day it all stopped. It had been 2 months and he had heard nothing from the Supreme.

For weeks he had wondered why and he had begun to assume that she was dead. And after a year or so he thought about her less and less until she was nothing but a memory.

A memory he would forever hold dear.

----
i don't even know if this was good but i definitely cried whilst writing it
all the love, M x