Kingdom Hearts (Fan Fiction): Lost Love

• Dedicated to Hannah Marshall

  "Riku! Sora! Kairi! Where are you guys!" I yell as I stumble around in the enveloping shadows. Suddenly something grows out of the never ending darkness and I begin to run. I stop suddenly as the world tilts forward and I begin to fall. I stop my face from hitting the ground just as a giant rumble sounds from behind me. I turn and stair up into the face of a giant, black, odd looking shadow. As it pulls back its hand to squish me with it, something shiny appears in my right hand. As I take in the site of the giant key, the giants hand comes down and I am enveloped in total darkness.

  "Mikan! Wake up!!" someone yells at me. I open my eyes to find Riku's big blue eyes staring at me, his white hair and face blocking out the sunlight. "You were having another nightmare, weren't you?" he asks me.

  I try to speak, but my tongue feels like sand paper, so I just nod. He hands me a bottle of water and I take it gratefully. "Thank you," I say after I chug down the once full bottle.

  "So was it the same one as always?" he asks, looking at me worriedly.

  "Yeah, but i'm ok. Actually, the dream got farther than usual," I say as I draw tiny figures into the sand.

  "Hey, Riku! MIkan!" someone yells. I look up to see Kairi and Sora running down the beach towards us.

  "You can tell me about it later," Riku whispers as he stands up and extends his hand towards me to help me stand as well. I nod slightly and take his hand. He pulls me up and I am just brushing the remaining sand off of my cloths when my other friends make it over to us.

  "Hey you two! Stop being so lazy! We have to finish getting ready if we want to set sail for other worlds tomorrow!" Kairi reminds us.

  I glance a Riku, wandering if he forgot about tomorrow as well. He grins at me and shakes his head slightly, silently telling me he hasn't forgotten.

  "Who are you calling lazy? I finished gathering everything I have to yesturday," Riku laughs at my surprised expression.

  "And what about you, Mikan?" she askes me. I just stare at her, mouth agape.

  "I told her I would help her today," Riku comes to my rescue.

  "Yes. We were just meeting to figure out what I had left to find and who would find what," I say, going along with Riku.

  Kairi smiles and brushes her short redish brown hair out of her blue eyes. I look over at Sora, wandering why he hasn't said anything. He gives me a big grin and yawns. He moves closer to me and looks at me knowingly.

  "Don't worry. Your secrets safe with me," he whispers. I silently mouth the words "thank you" to him, knowing that he means he caught on to mine and Riku's lie. He winks a blue eye at me and puts his hands behind his spiky dark brown hair.

  "Come on, Mikan! You only have to find one rope and gather some clean water," Kairi laughs.

  I know she's just playing with me, but it still rubs me the wrong way. I remind myself that I don't have to be jealous of her. Riku's my best friend, not hers and she can't take him away from me. I force a smile and laugh, barley keeping the sneer from my face. "Well, I just want to be done early so I can train."

  Riku looks at me, knowing that I'm getting angry. He takes my hand and pulls me towards the tree house. "We might as well get started. See you guys when we're finished," he tells them. I wave back at Sora and Kairi and follow Riku to the door. We go through it and I lean against the wall, grateful that I don't have to deal with Kairi anymore right now.

  "I don't know why you let her get to you like that," Riku tells me.

  I look down as a blush creeps across my face. I stop and remind myself that he doesn't know that I have a crush on him, so I won't blurt out anything I will regret. "I don't know... I guess I just was a little startled from the dream still," I say the first thing that pops into my head.

  Riku motions for me to sit with him on the floor. I sit and stare silently into his blue eyes. "Speaking of you dream, what happened?" he says, breaking the silence. I look out the window for a moment, collecting the images of the dream, and then go into a detailed verson of the story. He waits until I  finish and then he takes my hand in his.

  I blush again and start to draw circles with my other hand in the dust gathering on the floor. We sit there for a few minutes and then he pulls his hand away. I stare longingly at his hand for a few short seconds and then I stand up and brush the dust from my cloths. My eyes happen to glance at a corner of the room where a long coil of rope is waiting. I walk over and gather it all up in my hands.

  Riku stands and takes it from me, walking towards the door. "I won't let the darkness hurt you. Ever," I hear him whisper as he walks out the door, leaving me standing alone in the fading light in the room.

  I wait a second and then follow him out the door. I get close to him and then turn for the small pond instead. I open the cap to the empty water bottle and fill it to the top, then close it. I stand there for a few moments and let Riku's words sink in. I look at the bottle in my hand and finally notice I'm shaking. I look back at the events of the day and notice I've been shaking since I woke up on the beach.