Chapter Four

He turns back to me, catching me staring.

"And what are you staring at?" A smirk appearing on his pink lips and a chuckle roll out of his mouth.

"Oh, um, nothi-" I'm interrupted by the bus screeching to a halt in front of the school.

We stand up and he whispers behind me, "You're not done with that sentence and I'll get it out of you, later. Don't worry."

We walk off the bus together and then part our ways once we enter the school hallway. He has chemistry first period. I have honors English. Usually this wouldn't bother me, but today it really struck a nerve. All I wanted to do was stare at him, preferably into his eyes but you can't just stare into your friends eyes and have it not be awkward.

I sit down in my seat, ready for the pop quiz Mrs. Miller was going to give us. She doesn't even have to tell us about the pop quizzes, we already know when they're gonna happen now.

Halfway through the pop quiz my eyes darted toward the wall clock.

8:20

Ten more minutes.

My eyes darted again,

8:22

God, could time be moving any slower?

I circled the last multiple choice question on the quiz right as the bell rang.

I passed my quiz in, grabbed my binder, and hurried out into the hallway to find him.

I turned the corner and there he was, at his locker..

With Sarah.

Not going to give to much of a backstory with this one because I despise her, but she's his ex. He's still hung up on her though. I think she was and still is his first "love". Sigh.

I watch as she says something, smiling and he looks down at the tiles laughing. His head shot back up and I saw him mouth "I really miss you.." He looked away again. I'm unsure about what she said but whatever it was made him really happy. She kissed his cheek and strutted off towards her group of friends.

I headed towards his locker, but he was already walking off to the next class.

My phone vibrated though. "Are you down to go to a party tonight? I know we were supposed to have our weekly study sesh but Sarah invited me to her friends party and I want you to come with"

"Yeah, no problem. Anything for you."

--------

A car horn beeped outside my house. I looked out the window, Ethan. I ran down the stairs, grabbed my purse and left a note on the kitchen table telling my mom where I would be since she wasn't home yet.

We drove to the party in complete silence, not even a glance at each other. I think he could sense my irritation about the Sarah subject..it's always been a touchy subject between us since she cheated on him. I couldn't stand to see him that heartbroken again and I just can't trust her anymore. Not with him, at least.

We got out of the car, silence still hung over us. We walked inside Christina's, Sarah's friend's, house. The music was already loud and people were already drunk. I'm not usually one to partake in underage drinking activities but since I'll have to see Sarah and Ethan together all night, I decided I needed a drink.

I picked up a red solo cup off the counter, not even sure what's inside, and took a sip. It burned my throat. I drank more.

I also wasn't usually invited to parties often so I stayed by myself in the kitchen since I wasn't friendly with anyone except well...you know, Ethan.

An hour and 2 red solo cups later I see him. Holding her by the waist and laughing into her ear. Her hands in his hair, twirling sections of it between her fingers. God, I wish that was me...I took another sip.

My eyes still fixated on them as they danced closely for the next few minutes. Fuck. I hate her.

My eyes drifted across the room, watching other couples grind on each other and makeout. My eyes shifted back to Ethan and Sarah and soon, they became one of those 'couples'. I dropped my cup, walking over the liquid that was now spreading underneath the cup rolling across the floor. I walked into the living room and I found what I was looking for. A hot guy, alone. Again, if I was sober and not angry, I probably wouldn't have done this but since I was...I walked over, took the cup out of his hand and placed it gently on the coffee table next to him. I then grabbed him and started making out with him, I guess he was drunk too because he kissed back..usually guys would pull away. Hm. Anyways,

Loud footsteps creep closer to us and a "Get the fuck off her, man. What the fuck?" is shouted from a familiar voice. The guy I was making out with was being pulled off me by...Ethan...?

"Ethan, what the hell?" I screamed

He hit the guy. Knocked him to the floor. It was pretty hot if you ask me...not that the guy dropped to the ground, but the way Ethan defended me. Oh wait, I'm supposed to be angry...back to that.

"OH MY GOD WHAT THE FUCK?" I yelled

"Don't fucking touch her again, you hear me?" Ethan shouts over him, the unknown guy groans.

-------

I drag Ethan outside, both of us stumbling down the front stairs due to the intoxicated state we were both in.

"Why did you do that?"

"You should be thanking me."

"Thanking you? For what? Ruining the good time I was having or knocking a poor guy to the ground? Cause the way I'm reacting seems appropriate for both situations right now."

"You know what would've happened if you continued what you were doing" He says, leaning back against the car. Street lights shining down on him. Damn. He looked good.

"So what? I'm 17, I can handle myself."

"Yeah, I know. But I didn't want him handling you."

"Why the fuck not?"

"This is why." He pulls me into his chest and presses his lips against mine.

I liked it. I really did. But I pulled away.

A confused look took over his face.

"You were just making out with Sarah..." I said quietly as I looked down at the pavement.

His fingers lifted my chin back up and he connected our lips once again.

"Sarah can go fuck herself." He mumbled into the kiss.