Chapter 4

You're going to want to stay tuned for this long chapter.

Through the long limbs, her face emerged, painted to look like a unicorn while holding a melting ice cream in one hand, Princess Lily in the other. "Oh sweetie!" Violet dove into a relieving hug, "Don't you ever go off alone again, do you understand?" Her voice affirmed as she pulled away.

"But Momma, I wasn't alone, Uncle bought me ice cream and got me this," She smiled innocently and motioned towards her face.

"What?" Violet blinked furiously in confusion, "How did--"

"No need to thank me," a familiar, deep voice rung from behind her. Wha-- Ross?

She whipped her body around to identify her suspicions. "Don't worry I won't," she bit angrily, pulling her daughter closer to her body. "What are you doing here?"

"Just enjoying this beautiful day, same as you," He smiled slyly.

"You don't honestly expect me to believe you are here on coincidence. Now why are you really here?"

He threw his hands up playfully, "Ah, you got me. I may have noticed the note on your fridge that said you'd be here, so abracadabra I'm here too."

"Leave." She drew an eyebrow and gritted her teeth. He had intervened too much for her liking.

"Hey, this is a public place, I'm just here to spend some time with my niece," He knelt down to Melody who had a ring of chocolate ice cream around her rose bud lips. "Ain't that right Melody?"

She mumbled 'Mmhm' through the thick layer of deliciousness on her face and wiped it away with her arm. Violet, fed up with Ross' sass, was ready to leave. "Come on hun, let's go home." She began strutting away, expecting her daughter to follow, but she was firm in place next to her 'uncle'. "Let's go." She demanded, but Melody shook her head reluctantly.

"I wanna stay with Uncle a little longer."

Knowing her only bargaining chip refused to go with her, she would have to succumb to it too, but on her terms. "We can do one more thing and then we're leaving. Deal?" She didn't even wait for a response, she just continued walking and listened to the sputter of feet follow behind her.

Suddenly, they all heard a happy scream that pierced the air. They looked up to see the the massive structures before them. "You wanna go on the Ferris Wheel?" Violet asked directly to Melody, avoiding Ross completely.

She gulped down her last bite of the cone, rubbing the excess ice cream from her face onto her arm. She then consulted with Princess Lily, "Lily says she's scared of heights."

"You know what I'm scared of?" Ross bent down to her height again, touching her hair gently, but took great caution. She shook her head 'no' silently. "The tickle monster!" He began ticking her furiously sending her into a frenzy of giggles. Violet was annoyed with it all, partly because she was whisked into 'what could have been' in mere seconds. What irritated her most of all was that he still got to her even after all these years, all the moments she spent cursing his name only to think of him more.

When he spoke again it broke Violet out of thought,"You tell her that princesses can't be scared of heights because they live in very very very tall castles."