Ruby Tuesday Chapter 8 Dark Skies and Turbulent Waters

We awoke the next day to the incessant howling of the wind. Ruby gently shook us all at five am and we trooped out doors to inspect the damage from the small tornado that had passed by.

Power lines were hanging, a few trees were knocked over, the Hummer was leaning up against the side of Ruby's town house as if an angry baby giant had flung it there, but the damage was minimal.

Though we could have still driven it, Ruby said the vehicles in her garage were more suited to the weather. Salina, Jake and I looked questions at each other, when we noticed Ruby and Bascoe had disappeared. Next there was there lion roar of a big engine and the garage door rolling up.

Ruby and Bascoe were seated in a huge ATV, with big tyres and equipped with a snorkel.

"Okay, now I've seen everything!" Murmured Jake.

I laughed at him, "No, my friend, with Ruby there is always more!" I clapped him on the shoulder on the way by.

We quickly worked to move our supplies from the original Hummer to the ATV. I reached in the front window to pet Bascoe who was sitting in the front passenger seat in all his glory, when I glanced at the controls for the car. There was some serious hardware here. An on board computer, a CB, and other knobs and dials I didn't recognize.

Bascoe grinned and licked his chops, "What did she do, steal an army truck?" I wondered allowed. And had my question answered by Bascoe who made a wheezing chuckling sound, I could almost have taken for canine laughter.

I jumped when a hand clapped my shoulder, "No, Bambi, I bought this baby from an Army Auction, when they sell off their old vehicles." Again she had heard my musings without me knowing.

"But it's so tricked out!" I gasped, seriously this was a Cajun red-neck's dream car!

"So along with the Discovery Channel, may I assume you also missed Pimp My Ride episode 131, Ruby's All Terrain Hell Car?"

I stared at her, again catching those flies I liked so much, then replied, "I live in the Swamp!"

Ruby laughed and replied, "Oh yeah, A and E only huh?" She bid big Bascoe jump out of the truck, and we all went in for breakfast.

When we were done we helped her pack up more first aid and food supplies. She also gave us the gift of a Police Issue taser each. I knew she'd have a snappy reply if I asked, so I said nothing apparently Salina and Jake thought the same. Ruby told us how to use them, and then explained why.

"If by some unlucky calamity we run into Dr Death, we don't want to kill him, we made need the bastard alive to get info out of him about the virus. Hopefully we won't even see him." She then strode into the huge walk-in pantry and came out with a huge bag of doggy biscuits and carrying it as if it weighed no more than a pillow. No wonder Jake wanted in on the whole Croatoan thing.

"What are you doing with those.?" Salina asked.

"What's it look like?" Replied Ruby.

"It looks like you're taking them outside." Salina answered as we followed her and she threw the biscuits in back. I also noticed, bowls, a posh silver doggy brush, and posh red velvet doggy bed, and a smart red lead and harness for the car.

I also noticed Bascoe, fresh from breakfast sitting beside the car grinning. Ruby told me last night he was a Newfoundland Hound. One of the biggest dog's on Earth, and now maybe the last.

"Bascoe will be joining us!" Ruby said, kneeling beside her dog to hug and kiss him. Next to the dog Ruby looked even tinier than usual.

"I never saw us with a dog Ruby." Salina worried.