Chapter 11.

Emma was tired of being in the house. She paced from the kitchen to the bathroom and back. All evidence of Rob's visit was cleared away, and her discarded dress from the night before, retrieved and washed. It felt like it had been hours cooped up in the house despite it really only having been forty-five minutes. Her nerves were on edge and she felt the need to get out of the house. It felt tainted and unwelcoming. Remembering the peace she used to find in the saddle, she wished her father had not sold the horses, but horses were more expensive than they were worth to a working man. Dialing the number of old Amos, she hoped he would be able to grant her wish.

Riggs was in the barn, throwing clean hay out over the floor. He had already milked the cows, and put the cows and calves out to pasture. Once done with that he had mucked the stalls. The ache in his muscles was a balm to his shot nerves. The last few days had pushed him into letting out a monster he had wanted to leave behind in the desert. He did not consider himself a dangerous person, however he was trained to kill or be killed and to protect the innocent. If ever there was an innocent he would protect, it was Emmaleigh Mason. Something about the way she floated through life, despite all the shit coming her way, triggered the beast in him.

Methodically, he tossed pitchfork load after pitchfork load into the stalls, and spread it around. Fresh hay added a clean scent to the methane and ammonia stench of the manure and urine. The rhythmic work entranced him and moved him along quickly, making the time pass easily. Sweat trickled down his back, tickling his spine and lower. He whipped off his T-shirt and swiped it across his face and rubbed it over his body to remove the droplets, and continued to work after he tucked the shirt into his back pocket. His meditation was interrupted when he heard the crunch of gravel under tires.

With a deep sigh, he said aloud, "What now?"

He heard Emma's voice talking and a elderly man's voice replied with a deep drawl. Curious, Riggs leaned the pitchfork against the wall and went to see what was afoot. Upon exiting the barn door, he saw a rusted, old, gray Ford F250, with a horse trailer behind it. The pair was on the opposite side from where he had appeared, so he listened to their conversation, only slightly embarrassed for eavesdropping.

"Amos, thank you so much! I am so glad you could bring Pete and Buttercup over. I know it's a hassle, but I figured they probably need exercise and I really missed them," said Emma, happiness rounding out every word she said.

In his grating old man voice he answered, "Well, Emmaleigh, yer papa jus' couldn't take care'm. I'm jus' glad I could he'p. If'n you want them back, they's yers."

"But Amos! You bought them from Daddy, I'd have to buy them back, but I don't have the money right now. I can keep them and feed them here, and I will pay you back for them when I get it," Emma said, yearning causing her to sound breathless.

"Aww, shucks, Emmaleigh. They's nothing but bone bags. Whenever you get it, that's fine. Jus' more work fer me. It'll be a favor for me," the old man replied.

Riggs smiled at the old codger's attempt to ease Emma's distress. He walked to the back of the horse trailer and looked in on a pair of beautiful horses. Pete was a big gray gelding and Buttercup must be the Palomino. She was shy, but the gray nosed into Riggs' hand when he held it out to them. The soft velvety nose tickled, but Riggs pulled his hand away when the boy tried to nip at his fingers. "No you don't big guy, I need my fingers!"

The other two came to the back of the trailer when he spoke, and he did not miss the cautious appraisal by the oldster with the chest length beard, overalls, plaid work shirt and well-worn boots. Emma was a vision in tight jeans, boots and a sleeveless denim shirt.

Providing the introductions, she said, "Amos, this is Sawyer Riggs, he's stayed on and helped me get the farm up and running again. Sawyer, this is Amos Thatcher, my daddy's oldest friend. He's the guy who kept the farm going as best he could while daddy was sick."