Chapter Nine- The Heat

Start from the beginning

I plugged my headphones in as soon as I stepped outside and I finally closed my eyes in happiness and peace as the loud sounds of a guitar filled my ears and emptied my brain. School wasn't too far from the house and when I got there, the parking lot was already full of annoying and loud teenagers. All grinning and way too happy on an early morning.

I need a cigarette before I can handle this. I reached into the front pocket of my backpack and pulled out the small rose coloured case and the lighter. I placed a cigarette between my lips and I sniffled as I did it and I immediately lifted my head.

My eyes landed on the only person who could have the woodsy scent that I could smell from here. My stomach immediately tightened and my skin heated to a hundred degrees as my eyes landed on Johnny Blackwood.

His black boots were scuffed from where I was standing, his dark jeans clung to his muscled thighs, leading up to his simple black t-shirt that pulled against his chest. He wasn't even hiding it, I know for a fact that, that cocky asshole knew how good he looked. His damn black and grey tattoos swirled up his arms, disappearing under his shirt and reappearing on his neck.

"Who the hell is giving a teenager neck tattoos? Isn't that illegal?" I whispered to myself. My eyes landed on the small black piercings, just under his lips and I reached my tongue out, self-consciously wetting my bottom lip. His bright green eyes were practically sparkling with laughter as he talked to his friends, his eyebrow piercing gently moving with the way his face moved. Then his hair...that damn mess of dark hair...

I shivered, not being cold at all and I squeezed my thighs together, trying to rid the ache and desperation that grew just by staring at him from across the parking lot.

I was going to have to get over my raging embarrassment and let Jake and Dean know what was going on, so that I could stay home for school. Or else they would get a phone call about me jumping a boy during math class.

"Fuck me..." I whispered.

Literally.

Johnny

"Fuck, did you see Melody at the party? Like damn, I know she is spineless but...wow." Finn said lighting his cigarette with a grin crossing his features. I chuckled and leaned against my car while tapping my cigarette and bringing it back to my lips. They talked about the party on Saturday night that we went to. It was fun, but I was constantly scanning for the slim chance that a head of teal hair would pop in.

My eyes roamed the parking lot, scanning over the Youngblood's, the Esposito's, the Redwood's and then finally, my eyes caught a glimpse of a messy head of teal hair. I smirked as I blew out a cloud of smoke, watching her march toward her usual tree, the dark flannel and baggy t-shirt practically hanging off of her small frame.

"See Lilith? Good as always." Blondie grinned and I rolled my eyes at his comment.

"Keith is going to have your ass." I warned, slinging my bag over my shoulders.

"Hey, where the hell are you going?" Ry asked me confused and I turned back and winked at him while gesturing to the tree where Logan was hiding and they all looked over and then smirked before nodding. I flipped them off, tossing the end of my cigarette down and began walking over.

I wasn't even halfway to the tree when I stopped dead in my tracks. My whole body reacted to the scent radiating off of her. If I could smell it clearly, sure enough every goddamn unmated male in this parking lot could smell it. Her scent had my whole body tensing, my jaw was set and I could feel it twitching as I stared at her. Why the hell would she come to school like this? What the fuck was she thinking?

My eyes zoned in and I watched her go behind the tree for a smoke. She was in heat. My mate was in heat. A low growl left my chest and I had to bite down on my tongue to resist the urge to shift, to resist the need to run over to her and hike her up against that tree. I think she'd kill me if I ever tried something like that.

The bell rang, breaking me out of my trance and I scowled at the school and everything zoned back in. Bodies began moving as they went into the school and I watched a few males walk near the tree and look over. I couldn't stop the growl that left my throat as they paused momentarily.

"Hey, I will catch up with you guys in class, okay?" I said to the guys and they nodded and walked in with the rest of the crowd and I waited until the parking lot was almost empty before marching over to where Logan was.

"Six hours Logan, then you can go home." I heard her whispering to herself and I stopped the chuckle from passing my lips as I listened to her little pep talk.

I smirked and walked out from the tree and placed my arm beside her head so that she looked up at me, her once blue eyes were now black from the heat and I watched her throat bob as she swallowed.

"Hi pretty girl." I smirked.