My Wand Mate (PotterLock)

"No, mum, I will not kiss you, there are people here! Yes, yes, I have Hermes. Bye!"

I wave pointedly in my mum's direction, trying to send her a message.

"Yes, well, don't forget to do your homework!" she calls, waving frantically at me as the scarlet Hogwarts Express moved slowly forward.

"Bye mum!" I yell. Then I turn and try to find an empty seat for me to sit and read in. No such luck. Everyone is crowding in all of them and it isn't until I finally fight my way to the very last car in the whole bloody train that there is one empty seat. I hurry towards it. When I step in, however, I see that the seat opposite has been occupied.

"Hullo," I say loudly. The boy sitting there was engrossed in the largest book I'd ever seen about complicated... things. I didn't really understand what they were but it made sense to him obviously.

He seemed about my age, but much taller. No surprise there. I'm one of the shortest sixth years in Griffondor! He has brown ebony curls that have a bit of gold in them when they hit the light.

"Yes? What?" He asks, impatient. "You needed me, get on with it!"

"I was wondering... can I sit there?" I gesture to the seat opposite.

Mixed emotions flit across his face momentarily but a second later he closes it off.

"Tell Mycroft-" he begins.

"Who?" I interrupt.

"Tell Mycroft, my brother, the Slytherin prince, that it isn't funny. You don't have to listen to him." He buries his face in his book again.

"I don't know who you're talking about. I just wanted to sit here. everywhere else is full."

"Or it's because you don't have many close friends, and the friends that you do have, well, they're sitting with someone else."

I sit on the chair, amazed.

"How the bloody hell did you know all of that?" I ask. That was the exact reason.

"Oh, I know a lot more than that. You recently had a relationship but broke it off... why? She was cheating. You have a slight tremor in your left hand, but only under stress. Post traumatic stress disorder, maybe. I deduce that your father was killed rather violently. A veteran? Perhaps. But your mother seemed rather hesitant to let you go, upset that you were being exposed to magic. So, magic accident it is."

"Yeah. Yup. Everything... is exactly right! How..."

He laughed, a laugh that I decide I like hearing.

"You are strange." He smiles at me warmly, but something in his eyes tells me that he still thinks that I'm being insincere.

"I'm strange?" I laugh.

"Not many Gryiffondors would want to spend time with a Ravenclaw. Let alone a Ravenclaw freak." He said, then averts his eyes from mine.

"You have an owl." He states.

"I don't want to say obviously, but... obviously." I reach through the bars to stroke the said owl. "This is Hermes."

"I've got a cat... now where did that stupid thing get off to now?" He crawled around on the floor, making me collapse with laughter, he looked so comical. Eventually, his cat had mercy and jumps down onto his back from the luggage rack.

"Ah, there you are." He smiles and lifts up the pitch black small kitten with eyes strikingly similar to his own and places it on his lap as he sits down once more.

"What's your cat's name?" I ask, genuinely curious.

This simple question made him flush dark red though and he didn't look me in the eyes when he said it.

"It's... Edgar. Like that muggle writer, Edgar Allen Poe. I know it's stupid but..."

"I like it." I declare. He smiles.

"I think some introductions are in order." I state. "I'm-"

"John H. Watson. Obviously."

"How do you know everything?!" I ask, simply dumbfounded.

"It's on your trunk."

"Oh." I flush. "Well, what's your name then?"

"The name is Sherlock Holmes."

"And you're a Ravenclaw?"

"In my sixth year."

"Hm. I'm in my sixth year as well, although I'm in..." I lean forward and look at his wand closer. "And... just out of curiosity, what is your wand made out of?" I had just noticed, it had a strikingly similar look about it to my wand."

"Oh, 15 inches, yew, slightly springy, containing..."

"One Phoenix tail-feather." I finished. "Curious..." I pulled out my own wand. "It matches mine perfectly."