o n e

Lily Evans was the type of person who developed a plan for everything, no matter how simple or how complex. She had endless agendas, charts, and calendars to manage her time perfectly. She wrote everything down, and was proud to say she was prepared for any situation. So, of course, it was likely that she applied and was accepted for an interview to be a secretary at Hogwarts, the richest and most prestigious company in all of London. The owner-James Potter-was a legend amongst all who spoke of him, and Lily strived to earn his approval. She had replayed their meeting several times in her head, each time altering it slightly to come up with the perfect strategy. Finally, she had achieved the perfect scenario and was content. Yes, she had a plan to earn Mr. Potter's approval, and she was ready to go through with it.

Somehow, everything went wrong that morning.

Lily could not remember how many times she had hit snooze on her alarm. In fact, she could not remember another time when she had had so much trouble waking up. Finally, when she managed to push herself away from the warm covers and the soft pillows, she looked at the clock on her bedside table. It read 7:30 AM in a bold red color.

Lily ran toward her closet and pulled out the first decent clothes she could set her eyes on, putting them on as fast as her hands would allow her to. She hurriedly brushed her teeth and her hair. Then, she grabbed her cellphone from the living room and dialed a familiar number with trembling fingers. It rang three times before its owner answered.

"Lupin, I need a favor."

"Honestly, Lily," Remus Lupin said, watching her step into his car five minutes later. "I don't understand how this happened to you of all people."

"Be quiet." Lily said, shaking her head. "But...thank you for coming."

Remus laughed lightly. "Of course. Anything for you, Lily. Especially since you've always been here for me since my...illness...came about."

Lily sighed in relief as she realized they had arrived. It was only 7:55.

"Thank you so much Remus, I owe you, I swear I'll pay you in as many chocolate bars and jumpers as you-"

"I'll remember that, Evans. Now go to your interview. Go make Potter fall at your knees." Remus said, smiling once more before driving away.

Lily ran into the building, but did not take a single moment to appreciate its beauty. She headed straight for the blonde secretary at the front desk.

"Name?" the secretary asked, typing furiously and looking at her at the same time. Normally, Lily would have been impressed, but she was still panicked, and she was not aware of anything other than the fact that she was very close to being late.

"Lily Evans." she responded hurriedly, tapping her foot nervously. She looked at the name tag on the woman's uniform, which read 'Marlene' in thin, cursive letters.

"Right. Mr. Potter will see you in a few minutes." Marlene said. Her hands left the keyboard, and she eyed Lily.

Lily shifted uncomfortably. "Is there something wrong?"

"That's an interesting outfit you've got there." Marlene commented, half amused, half surprised.

Lily bit her lip and looked down at her formal shirt, black pencil skirt, and heels with a newfound sense of insecurity. "What's wrong with it?"

"The fact that it's actually appropriate for an interview." Marlene said, scribbling something onto a neon pink pad of post-it's. "Most go for a more...exposed look, let's say. They have more interest in getting involved with Mr. Potter on a more...personal level. I don't blame them though, he's quite fit. Personally, I'm more a fan of his partner from the other company-that Mr. Black bloke. But it's still unprofessional."

Lily felt like throwing up. James Potter was an old bloke, why would anyone want to get involved? And why would Marlene think he was fit?! Was that what people were into these days?

"Isn't he an old bloke?" Lily asked, biting her lip again.

Marlene looked at her with wide eyes and laughed hysterically, writing on another post-it with a look that resembled admiration. "You really don't know? I'm impressed. I think I just might like you if you get the job."

Lily pursed her lips and looked down at the ground. She ran her fingers through her hair, trying to calm herself.

"Mr. Potter will see you now. His office is the last one on the right. Down the hall." Marlene said, a smile playing on her lips. "Good luck."

Lily breathed deeply once more before walking over to the office. Her heels seemed noisier than before, and everyone stared at her as she walked by.

Just as she reached Mr. Potter's office, the door burst open. A girl stormed out with an angry expression on her face. She was wearing a tight dress and excessive makeup.

"He's a git!" the girl yelled at Lily. "A foul, loathsome, evil, little cockroach! Stay away from him! He will ruin you!"

Lily gulped and watched her storm away. She wondered if the girl had tried to kiss Mr. Potter, and why she had done so. If Mr. Potter was as old as she'd imagined, why would girls fancy him so much? Was it because of his money? His fame? Lily sighed and tugged on the ends of her hair nervously before twisting the cold, metal doorknob of his office.

There was a man standing inside. He was tall, above average. From what she could see, he had messy dark hair, a slightly darkened skin tone, and a muscular build. Lily began to doubt whether he was really as old as she'd assumed him to be. She closed the door behind her, and he spun around. He was young-he appeared to be 22, just like her. His eyes were a warm hazel color, and he wore dark rimmed glasses. He gave her a charming smile, and she laughed.

"Sorry, I'm in the wrong office." Lily said apologetically, opening the door to leave.

"Lily Evans?" he asked, looking at a paper on his desk. Lily turned slowly.

"No, this must be a mistake. I'm looking for James Potter." she said, raising an eyebrow.

The man smiled again. "I am James Potter."

Lily's phone, which was still in her hand, dropped to the ground.