Chapter 31

Hi,

Some of you were asking for an Alexander POV. Sadly, it will not happen in this chapter, but... read and you'll see ;-) My question is: What do you think IS going on in the head vampire's head in this chapter? Read, vote, comment! I hope you like it ;-)

Lara

____________________________________________________

Chapter 31

I was going to tear into the secrets Alexander kept buried deep inside of him. I moved on, fastening my pace through the imaginary alley of doors. And almost ran in to a wall.

I stopped short, panting. Stared at the wall. It hadn't been there a second ago.

I turned my head. To my left the corridor I'd been running through stretched, the door I'd been aiming for half open. Did I turn? Did I somehow lose a second?

I narrowed my eyes and stared at the corridor to my left. Then turned back and stared at the wall. Smoke and illusions. That was Alexander. Manipulating you into believing exactly what he wanted you to believe.

That's it!

I moved back and closed my eyes, then started at a run. Bits and pieces of plasterboard splintered and melted away from me as I pushed through the wall.

I was standing in the corridor again, facing the door. The light behind that door was not artificial, a soft glow that looked more like the flaring dance of fire. The door was within reach, all I had to do was-

Alexander shifted, lighting fast, lips leaving mine, tongue traveling down my neck, leaving burning streaks on my skin – like a whip of soft leather.

I gasped. The sharp tip of fangs against my skin, targeting that spot over the carotid artery. His hand tightened in my hair.

A warning.

I blinked, breathing hard. The vision of doors, fire and shadow faded against reality.

"Be careful, Anna." His voice was rough. Low. The words danced like icy feathers on my skin.

It was a challenge. I was not going to refuse. Two could play at this game.

My hand traveled up his hip, settling on his back.

"Why? Is there a problem? Or are you the one who's emotionally compromised?" My voice was low, but loud enough for him to hear.

We stared at each other, chest against chest. The world around us might have lain in ashes. I didn't care. The devil himself was staring right back into my face, standing at the threshold to my deepest fears. And he wanted in.

He jerked me closer, my chest pressed flat to his. "This is not the time to yank my chain."

"Ditto," I said.

That kiss was reckless. What if I lost control? Did he even know how much it took out of me just keeping up the spell?

He drew back, slowly, eyes drifting to the right. "They have passed us. We will go into the club. It is one of the few in this street that do not belong to me. They will search there last."

He stepped back and steered me right into the entrance to our left. Together we slipped into the crowd wordlessly. The touch of his hand on the small of my back seemed to go right through all the layers of clothing, seared my skin with memories I'd rather not remember when being so close to him.

The sound and flash concert inside had me stumped, even more blind than I already was. There were even vamps in the club, lingering in and around the sides not really part of the crowd. Even without second sight they stood out to me, commanding attention with their still postures and lingering, alluring eyes.