The Whispers In The Trees

"I am not a normal human. I am a monster living in this world of mortals, waiting for my turn to die."

These are the words stolen from my wicked mind. My tongue forcing them out, each syllable rolling out easier than the last. I cannot help but to wander in my mind for a moment looking. Searching. For an answer to the question that has plagued me since I let these words become my life.

It takes only a moment to find the answer. I have played this memory in my mind a thousand times, but nothing makes it easier to bear.

"Rainfall Callida Wicked!"

I was maybe four or five when I heard my mother screech out my name. I smiled up at her looming figure.

"What in God's good name are you doing!"

I did not understand her, I was not doing anything. My mother mother must have seen something of confusion in my eyes.

"Look in the mirror, Rainfall."

My mother's voice was stern and powerful. I did as I was told, looking into our looking glass with careful eyes. I saw myself. I saw my shoulder length black locks. I saw my mismatched blue and amber eyes. I saw my small nose that I inherited from my mother. I saw my small pink mouth with my razor fangs protruding slightly.

I saw nothing wrong so far, I kept looking at my reflecting to make out the flaw my mother had seen. I saw my pale skin. I saw my small frame dressed in my typical preschool outfit; red converse, white ankle socks, fitted black jeans, and my favorite white shirt with a mother wolf and her two pups. Something was off, but I just could not see what.

"I hoped and prayed everyday while you were in my belly! I prayed that you'd be a normal child. But you have clearly taken after him."

I looked up to my mother's tall frame and spread out my arms to her. I clasped and un  clasped my hands rapidly to be held.

"Don't look at me you demon! Take a good long look at yourself in that mirror! That is all you will ever be; a hideous monster!"

I guess I should have seen it sooner, but to me it was normal. I could always make fire appear in my hands.

I sigh coming back to the outside world. I am still in the same place I had been when I spoke those words. I take in a deep breath hoping to calm down. I tried to smile at myself in a good way, but I felt sick. Not even nine yet and one of my other personalities already came out!

Today is my first day in high school. A junior at the Scarlet School For Creatures. The Scarlet School For Creatures is exactly what it sounds like. A school for the paranormal beasts. Were creatures, Vampires, Fairies, Zombies, Shifters, Mind Readers, Ghouls, Ghosts, Goblins, Demons, and Witches like me all attended the human free school.

I come out of my bathroom to find something decent for my first day of high school. It was already half way through the school year so I was hoping to make a good impression. I may have suicidal tendencies but I was still hoping that I could change. Might as well look good enough to make friends, right?

I pull on my outfit; white ankle socks, black skinny jeans that cut off at my knees, tight white undershirt, and a plaid button up consisting of different shades of pink which I rolled up the sleeves to my elbows and left undone. I walked over to my desk grabbing my jewelry box while walking back to my bathroom mirror.

I flip open the lid to find my eyebrow, ear, and lip studs. All of them silver. I carefully put each one in it's place and look myself over. Happy with the result I finally relax. My face is perfection as usual. My messy black hair covers my left eye, leaving only my blue eye visible. My tattooed eyeliner was perfect as always.

I smile a nervous, yet excited smile.