Who is she?

Alex POV:

        My Mom was a alcoholic, a smoker also. I never knew my dad. Most days I come home and I see my Mom passed out on the floor . I learned to fend for myself. I drink, I smoke occasionally. I even sold myself for money. I just don't want to go down the same messed up road my Mom is going down. At school no one messes with me. I'm not afraid to throw a punch every once and a while if I had to. My sense of toughness causes people to not talk to me. I was never good at making friends but, that didn't mean I didn't want any.

        I wanted to skip school so bad. No one knew I was there so it wouldn't matter if I skipped or not. I walked down the hallway and everyone stared at me. I can't pretend that I haven't heard the rumors that people say about me. I try to walk without looking anywhere but straight ahead. I then hear people laughing, as an instinct I head towards the roar of laughter.

        By the time I get close enough I see a girl on the ground. I run towards her and pick her up and away from the scene. I run as fast as I could to the bathroom. I go to the closest stall and lay her on the floor. She starts to sob like crazy. This doesn't happen to me very often so, I didn't know what to do. I felt a little awkward so, I just sat there with her while she sobbed away. I wasn't quite sure what had happened but I knew it couldn't have been good.

        Eventually she let the last tears fall onto her black shirt. She looks up at me. She has really pretty eyes that just looked into my soul. She gave me a small smile and I could feel my cheeks grow a little warm. I don't know why I feel like this. I can't have an attraction to this girl. I shake my head of this feeling and try to calm this girl down.

        " Um, are you okay?" I couldn't help but sound awkward. She nods and wipes the last tears away from her face. I was about to get up when she spoke to me.

        "Thank you for saving me, I owe you" She looks up and smiles at me.

        "N-no problem, I couldn't stand to see you like that. What happened back there?" She didn't answer immediately. I didn't expect her to anyway.

        "Samantha is just mean. She doesn't care if everyone hates her she will do anything to just humiliate someone. Apparently I was today's victim."

        "She shouldn't be a bitch to someone who did nothing to her. I'm surprised that none of your friends came to help you" I say. I must have hit a nerve because she started crying again. Again I didn't know what to do so, I hugged her.

        " I don't have any friends. No one likes me because I self-harm" She wipes away the fallen tears and stares at the floor. She was in the same situation that I was. Next thing I knew I did a daring thing.

        " Well if no one will protect you, then I will. I know you don't know me but, if you want I can be your friend." I swallowed a huge lump in my throat waiting for her response.

        She looked up and smiled a even bigger smile than before. "Thank you, I would like for you to be my friend".

        We walked out of the girls bathroom together. Everyone was staring so,I had her walk behind me in case  anyone tried something. I kept a straight face as I walked her to class but on the inside I couldn't stop smiling.