Chapter Four: The Factory of Death

ابدأ من البداية

In despair, she lifted the telephone receiver and called her niece at 233 Curzon Street. 

It was Raymond Poiccart who answered. Alma was relieved to hear his deep voice; she always felt that the quiet, heavy Frenchman was a safe pair of hands. He asked after her health and promised to find Mirabelle and bring her to the phone. Alma waited impatiently, until a bright, cheery voice said: 'Hello, dear! Is everything all right?' 

'Oh, Mirabelle!' she burst out. 'Mark's in love with Miss Baines!' 

She was disgusted to hear her niece break into a peal of delighted laughter. 'Is he really? Good old Mark! He's hardly even said "Good morning" to a girl before. She's such a nice person, isn't she?' 

'Mirabelle!' insisted Alma. 'Don't say such things! You know he can't have anything to do with her. She's a grocer's daughter, for goodness's sake.' 

'Yes, dear, and Mark needs someone who can run a business; he's no idea how to do it himself.' 

'Don't joke, dear. You know this is no joking business.' 

'I'm not joking. I know you don't approve, but Lucy is a dear and she's well educated and she'd be so good for Mark. And you know Mark's hardly capable of looking after himself; he's only just managing the farm.' 

'She's an excellent maid, dear, and I don't want to lose her.' 

'Do you want me to come round to talk to him?' asked Mirabelle. 

Alma frowned. 'No, dear, I want you to get him out of the house; invite him round to Curzon Street.' 

'All right, dear. I'll do that. Take care,' and Mirabelle hung up. 

She was frowning to herself as she turned from the telephone. Raymond Poiccart saw the frown, and was concerned. 'What is the trouble?' he asked. 

'Alma's worried about Mark,' answered Mirabelle. 'She thinks he's fallen in love with Lucy Baines.' She saw Poiccart's blank expression and added: 'she's the housemaid whom Leon and I rescued from Armitage's house. I got her a job with my aunt.' 

Poiccart nodded. 'Your aunt is a very traditional woman,' he observed. 'She will be shocked at the idea of your cousin courting a tradesman's daughter.' 

'Mark's supposed to be in business, but he can't add up,' said Mirabelle, frankly. 'He does his best, and he does manage better than Alma did, but Lucy would be such a help to him.' 

'What does the young lady feel?' asked Poiccart. 

Mirabelle's face cleared, and she laughed at herself. 'Of course! It's up to Lucy. What's it to do with Alma or me? It's up to Lucy and Mark.' 

Poiccart relaxed, seeing her laugh so merrily. He disliked seeing Mirabelle anxious - he regarded her as a sort of surrogate daughter, and was deeply protective of her. 

Not as protective as Leon Gonsalez, her husband, whom Mirabelle had left frowning over one of his chemical experiments. When she did not return immediately, he came downstairs to see what had become of her, and found her just walking away from the phone, exchanging a few words with Poiccart. 

'Raymond, what have you been saying to our lady?' he exclaimed. 'She has a frown on her face and a pucker on her brow.' He kissed the brow lightly as he spoke. 'Se\u00f1orinetta, what has cast a shadow over you?' 

She smiled into his face, a smile which spoke of spring time, of apple blossom and mayflowers, April sunlight and fresh meadow grass. He smiled back joyfully; she always made him joyful. 

'I'm fine,' she said, 'but Alma was worrying me. She's fretting about Mark.' 

'Again? She worries too much about him.'