Chapter Fifty-Two

My Life Had Stood(11/11/16)
Chapter 52: Finding Jemma 3

Garcia grimaced at her computer screens, having decided to throw herself into her work once she got to Quantico. Since abruptly leaving the hospital, she'd thought about Alsie and how the petite brunette had lied to Spencer. Or at least hadn't bothered to warn him of her suspicions that they were related.

The tech analyst had thought about going back and demanding Alsie explain why she had thought it okay to keep such a secret. But then decided against it. Garcia was too angry at the brunette and there was work to be done finding the latest unsub.

"Let's see...." Garcia typed on her keyboard, combing through the list she compiled of men matching the basic profile of their unsub. On her way into Quantico from the hospital, she'd received a call from Morgan. He requested her to search for similar crimes in neighboring states as well as widen her search parameters for the suspect to include residents in those neighboring states.

She glowered at the large number of potential suspects. Even after filtering out men who made frequent trips to Los Angeles, she was still left with too many names.

Her eyes widened the next second when her search for similar cases produced results. Her lips parted in surprise, then horror when she counted the total number of similiar cases. It was at this moment that her phone rang.

-"Hello, Garcia, there's another search parameter...."-

"Seventeen." Garcia mumbled, her eyes wide and stomach twisting. The agent who'd called her gave a confused sound, wondering at the nonsequiter. Something the tech analyst's next words rectified. "There're at least seventeen other victims killed by this unsub over the past twenty years."

-"What?" JJ gaped, her own gut roiling at the revelation. Could the unsub have killed that much without them knowing? "Garcia, are you sure...?"-

"They're scattered all over the country, but seventeen other deaths match this unsub's M.O." Garcia replied, feeling miserable and sickened by the amount of victims. Adding these newly connected deaths with the original ten, made it twenty-seven women the unsub tortured, violated and killed. Before JJ could ask more than a single word 'how', Garcia cleared her throat and continued. "There were only one or two victims per state that the unsub traveled through. Not like the ten dumped in California."

-"...." JJ glowered, not at all liking the level of organization and forensic knowledge the unsub's actions suggested. Moving from state to state and never killing more than two per, had allowed the unsub to stay under the radar. She grimaced but then switched back to what she'd called for. "Garcia, Reid and Fitzgerald spoke with the latest victim, and got her name Alicia Summers. Could you check to see if there's a missing persons' report for her? Search neighboring states...."-

"Already on it." Garcia replied, having started the search the moment JJ said the victim's name. It took only a few moments to find the information. "Alicia Summers, resident of Las Vegas, Nevada. Her husband reported her missing a night ago when she didn't return home from grocery shopping."

-"The unsub only kept her a day?" JJ muttered. She hadn't seen the victim's injuries, but going by how Spencer had described the woman's physical condition, Alicia Summer's injuries had been extensive. "Garcia, can you send her husband's number and address to Hotch? He, Morgan, and agent Aderhold are closest to the state lines."-

"All right...and sent." Garcia replied, she paused the next moment when JJ told her what else Spencer and Fitzgerald had told her.

-"Alicia wasn't very clear, but the unsub has at least one other woman, maybe two, captive." JJ chewed her lip, scowling as she thought. "She also told Reid something about the unsub having a little girl...."-