A Golden Path

Prologue:

“Columns, forward.” One of my commanders shouted from somewhere to the left of my current position. I sat a little straighter on my noble steed as the men began to move forward as a simple walking pace. The clanking of armor and swords against the armor pierced my hearing, but I dealt with it as I heard a horn come from across the plains in front of us. Suddenly, a massive force of horsemen was bearing down on my men and I had to act fast.

“Spearmen to the front, archers to the rear. Send them to hell!” I shouted to one of my commanders next to me. He turned on his horse and thundered off toward the front and soon enough, I saw my orders being followed. I saw glints of light from the spears in front and saw the archers scattering to get behind the spearmen. The horsemen were one third across the field when my orders were finished. I felt a gentle tap on my shoulder and turned to see a young member of my royal guard there, looking at me expectantly.

“My king. It would be wise if we moved you to safety behind your royal swordsmen instead of you being here with just your knights.” His eyes held confidence, but I wasn’t going to have it.

“Then move the royal battalions closer to me and make sure no one can get past them!” I snapped at him and sent him scattering to fulfill my orders. I turned back in my saddle to face the battle that was about to unfold on the plain. The horsemen of the enemy were a lot closer and in a minute or so, they would collide with my spears. Soon enough my fears were confirmed as I heard yells from the front and watched the lines of horsemen collide with my men. Some men flew into the air, others screamed and most ran. I groaned at the sight of my men being cowards and had a crazy idea.

“Forward!” I pulled out my sword and charged toward the battle as lines of enemy swordsmen and spearmen poured out from the other side of the plain. I think I scared my royal battalions because I heard a yell and sudden roar of cheering. The sound of metal clashing and men running soon was the only thing I could hear besides screams of pain. I heard a twang from my right and turned my head to see the archers in position and firing.

“Crush them!” I shouted, swinging my sword above my head and pointed it forward. All the battle lines of mine suddenly roared to life and retreating men from the front turned round to face the enemy. The enemy horse stopped almost dead in their tracks and suddenly my men swarmed around them, cutting them to pieces. In a matter of seconds, my army consumed the horse and pressed on toward the enemy battle lines running toward us.

“Show no mercy, for you shall receive none.” I tried to yell above the men shouting and the sounds of battle. I stopped at a certain point and watched as my forces ran past me or galloped past and soon the sounds of screams, moans and slamming of men against men filled the air.

I was being watched, but not in a bad way. My royal guards were patrolling around the area I was, making sure no enemy appeared or no dead enemy rose. I don’t know how a dead foe would rise; the Lord wouldn’t allow such things to happen. I heard a shout, which brought me out of my thoughts and turned toward it. A column of enemy horse was coming round the left side, heading straight for my group.

“Face them! Face them!” I shouted, slightly panicking. My guards still were calm and soon had formed rank around me and prepared to meet the enemy. My knights thundered off toward them and I had a protective phalanx around me. Spears pointed outwards and shields of men raised high. I had been moved off my horse and was standing on the ground, so I couldn’t be picked off.

“HOLD THE LIN—“Was the line thing I heard before the world went black.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Let me know please what you think <3

*UNEDITED*