Enslaved

This world we lived in wasn't right. Not for me anyway. For the rich ones; it was perfect, anything they wanted they could ask for and get at their any beck or call. I however, was not one of those people. I was less than people, in this day and age. I wasn't exactly born into this life, but they take you at a young age for it, and discipline you accordingly to the status of the families who will buy you. It's a disgusting system. The group I happened to be in, the one meant for showing to the most high class of buyers was by far the worst. They would inflict pain in a way that often did not scar you terribly like the others; if your master wanted you defaced and ugly, that was his choice. But here, we weren't allowed to speak, we were taught not to move unless asked. We were practiced on as toys, as servants, as animals, clowns, you name it. I could do anything, really, as long as I kept my head low and did as I was asked without hesitation or defiance. I'd been through this for years and years and I didn't think getting sold off would be any better; worse even. So I was almost glad when they held me off the black market for so long. However, one day, I was pushed out with a price on my head. It was sort of like... an auction, the way these things went. And the day there was a solid buyer, unswaying to any higher bids, I was terrified. The horrible things I had been through were about to be put to use. This was all my life would ever amount to.

The humiliation was something we were never hardened against, that was something they like to see on our faces. So when I had the silver bow tied around my neck and was to put clothes on that were only faintly more respectable, I felt like... well, a dog. However, my future seemed ominous and I was sure dogs were treated better.

It was a dirty place, this auction site, only shined up for that day because of all the wealthy people that were to walk around in the vicinity. I was led from the place and pushed into a vehicle with my head down. I kept my head bowed until who I assumed would be my new master and I arrived. I let my eyes peek through the window sidelong so I could see where I was. It was a magnificent house from where I was, and I could even imagine what the inside would look like. I was hauled inside, less gracefully than when they had dragged me out to the car.

I hadn't even graced my presence in a house as fantastic as this. But I couldn't look too closely at anything as they led me through crowds of well dressed strangers and then hurriedly pushed down on my shoulder. The silent command to get to my knees. I did so, my hands defeated in my lap. I wasn't sure what was happening... but of course I could not ask, it was not my place nor position to ask. The room hushed, though, after a few minutes of my being there. There was a voice, mannered and soft, asking the people of the room why they weren't going outside, because the weather was nice, and why everyone was being so quiet. The man who had bought me spoke next, and the moment he said those words, meet your new slave, I raised my head up just enough so I could see who I was being given to. My shoulders didn't tense and my breath didn't hitch, I was trained better than that. I was terrified, even though this boy before me seemed... innocent, in a way. The faces all around him were both proud and jealous all at once, because it was a privilege to have a personal slave. I found myself wondering what sort of party I'd been dragged into.

When he asked my name I nearly did shudder, though. No one, not in years had ever asked my name, no one had cared. I didn't say anything, remembering what they would do if I was to speak. My mind was screaming my name, like it needed someone to hear it. But nothing passed from my lips. I lowered my eyes again, a heavy knot forming in my stomach. I should've accepted my reality years ago. but even now that it was hanging over my head, I couldn't quite wrap my head around it.