Cedric shook his head. "I don't remember any Magician of Water called Rachel Bolton at the palace but she might have left on a scouting expedition," he said. 

          Dahlia felt like Troy had felt only a few minutes ago. Cedric had dashed her hope about her mother like Kayla had dashed Troy's hope about Helen. 

          Troy reached out his hand to comfort her but he stopped, remembering what Cedric had said: Don't let Kayla see you holding hands. She hates relationships. 

          Troy clenched his own hands in his lap, trying to hold himself together. 

           Luna leapt to her feet. Her silver eyes were glowing. "We have to go!" she cried. "Now!" 

           The door of the camouflaged shelter burst open and two boys ran into the room. They were dressed in similar clothes to Kayla's and both had silver swords and staffs strapped to their sides. 

           "Who are you guys?" one of the boys said. 

           Kayla hastily stammered out introductions and then turned to Luna. "What did you see?" 

          "They're coming," Luna whispered and then almost collapsed. 

          Cedric leapt forward and caught her before she could fall. Dahlia and Troy shot to their feet, both drawing their weapons. 

           Kayla took charge. "Verne, get some bedding and put them in sacks. August, you grab some food. Troy, catch. Don't use your elemental magic at all. Only use your second gift!" 

          She tossed Troy the clothes she had been holding and he grabbed them. Dahlia slid her staff back into her belt and flexed her hand around her dagger. She hoped it would be enough to defend herself if the need arose. 

           Kayla slid her hand into the stone in the wall, whispering, "Kratugal dlut." (Earth melt) 

           "I thought you said not to use magic!" Troy shouted, stripping off his ruined suit and stepping into the T-shirt and jeans. 

           "I must do this!" Kayla replied, drawing a sword inside the wall. 

           "I thought only Magicians of Fire use swords!" Dahlia hissed. 

          "Normally, yes," Kayla replied. "But this sword was used by King Arthur, himself, the only magician after Sebastian Merlin to possess all the elemental magic." 

           "Excalibur!" Troy cried. 

           Kayla nodded. "King Arthur was also a necromancer although that is not told in any of the myths. He used this blade as a shortcut to summoning dead spirits." 

           As she spoke, she stabbed the sword into the earth. Dahlia opened her mouth to ask a question but one of the boys, Verne, she thought, clapped a hand over her mouth.  

           "Don't interrupt," he muttered. "Necromancy is a very dangerous art of magic. It balances on the point of a knife. The slightest mistake and the summoner can die." 

           Dahlia couldn't help watching as Cedric shouldered Luna who was still unconscious. August and Verne gathered up several sacks and waited. 

           Before Kayla could begin, the hut exploded in flames. Dahlia screamed as burning boughs rained down on them.  

           Troy yanked her out of the way as a burning branch fell right where she had been a second before. Dahlia clutched at him, trying not to scream again.