Ch. 6

Auston's POV- September 2016

"How long do we have to be here?"

I glanced up and looked at Brandon Saad who was the oldest on the team. He was neither an alternate captain or captain but he was left in charge when Connor, Aaron, and Sean were away. They had left to go talk with the PR team and were going to come back with the interns.

"We just got here about 5 minutes ago"

I looked at Nathan who frowned as he looked at Brandon.

"There are no pretty girls to keep me distracted"

Jake, the media director for our team had told us that we would be introduced to 5 interns. During our media day I noticed that there were no girls in sight. There were interns in the room helping the media get organized, and all were guys. Most of the volunteers during the pre tournament games were all girls around our age.

"You're not here to meet pretty girls, you're here to play hockey"

 We all turned our attention to the other side of the hallway when we heard the double doors open. 

"Is she distracting enough?"

I looked at Nathan who was nodding as Jonathan, his best friend chuckled. I turned to see Connor, Aaron and Sean making their way over with Jake. 

"Yes she is"

My eyes widened as I recognized one of the interns, and the only girl of the group. There had been one girl on my mind since I had been in Toronto and she was making her way over. I didn't know her name, but I had bumped into her twice. Well the first time it really wasn't a bump, I saw her struggling trying to reach a cereal box at the grocery store and I got it for her. The second time I was going to dinner with Morgan Rielly, I held the door open for her. She was with a guy, so there was a chance she had a boyfriend.

"No fucking way"

I turned to look at Brandon.

"You know her?" I asked.

He shook his head.

"You look pretty excited to see her though"

Brandon looked at Nathan.

"My girlfriend follows gymnastics, and if I'm correct that girl is Esmeralda Baez"

Jack hummed and grinned.

"So you're saying she's flexible?"

Brandon looked at him and most of the guys chuckled as Jack frowned and mumbled an apology.

"Guys"

I turned my attention to Connor as I stood up straight.

"We have 5 interns, but I'll let them introduce themselves"

I glared at the guy who shoved everyone out of his way as he stepped forward. Jake cleared his throat, as he looked at that intern.

"Pierre, why don't you let Esmeralda introduce herself since she is second in command"

I felt a light nudge on my side from Morgan, but I chose to ignore him and take a good look at the girl across from me. Her hair was up in a ponytail, and she was dressed in blue jeans with a Team North America zip up hoodie. Her hoodie seamed to be fitted where as the 4 other interns had a loose zip up.

"Hi, my name is Esmeralda and I am currently an international student at the University of Toronto. My home is in Los Angeles, California where I go to school, so yes I am American. I'm a senior at UCLA and I'm majoring in Bioengineering and with this internship I complete my minor in Public Relations"

She smiled and clapped her hands.

"Let's get down to business. I feel like we are all adults here, so I will be incredibly straightforward. Jake's job is to make sure you all look like angels to the media and not babysit you guys. If you guys want to do something stupid like get drunk and have the media document it by all means do it just remember that if you do this might be the last time you will be invited to play in an international tournament. If I come off as a bitch to you that's fine because I have learned to not care what others think of me. I'm sure most of you hate press conference and the media, but we are here to make it as easy and smooth as possible"

She turned to the guy who had shoved her and cleared her throat.

"Pierre"

He looked at her and nodded. I tuned him off as he clapped and began speaking.

"Is that?"

I nodded and he hummed.

"Interesting"

"Drop it" I mumbled.

I looked at him.

"Please?" I asked.

He frowned and nodded.

"Hello, I'm George"

I turned to look at Esmeralda who was looking down at a clipboard. She elbowed Jake and pointed at the paper on the clipboard to which he nodded and patted her shoulder. I frowned as Brandon nudged me and cleared his throat.

"Pay attention"

I nodded and turned my attention to the guy who was about to speak.

"Hi, I'm Gabriel"

I yawned and rubbed my eyes trying my best to pay attention. I tuned the last guy who introduced himself and leaned back against the wall.

"Alright, if you could all turn your attention to me. So it looks like I have to take roll and make sure you are all here. I apologize in advance for mispronouncing your names, and for some reason you are separated by nationalities"

Esmeralda looked down at the clipboard and nodded.

"Just shout here"

She glanced up as we all nodded.

"I met you 3 so I know you're here"

She cleared her throat.

"Jonathan Drouin, Nathan MacKinnon, Matt Murray, Ryan Murray, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Colton Parayko, Morgon Rielly, Mark Scheifele, Jack Eichel, Johnny Gaudreau, John Gibson, Shane Gostisbehere, Connor Hellebuyck, Seth Jones"

She glanced up when Seth didn't respond.

"I'm here, I was tying my shoe"

She smiled and laughed.

"Dylan Larkin, Auston Matthews"

"Here" I called out.

"J.T. Miller, Brandon Saad, Vincent Trocheck, and Jacob Trouba"

She nodded and smiled.

"You are all accounted for, please form a single line and follow Pierre out"

Pierre cleared his throat and nodded.

"Let's get this over with since I'm sure you all have plans"

Brandon turned to her and smiled as we began making our way out.

"Is there a way I could get a picture with you? My girlfriend will not believe I met you"

She nodded slowly.

"Of course but not right now, I could get in trouble"

She turned when her name was called out.

"Excuse me"

And like that she walked away without even turning to look at me. No smile or nothing, it's as if she hadn't seen me.

A/N: Looks like Auston is hurt because she didn't pay attention to him.