Preview Chapter 1: blocks and wine

En başından başla

"Don't be moonshy; you and Lully haven't had any cookies yet," Esperanza protested. "Unless you're done with us, of course. But we don't mean to run you off."

Blair looked conflicted. Esperanza knew he wasn't eating much and so this would be a good way to make sure he had consumed something today. He was so thin and hollow as if Victoria's absence had taken something out of him. Lully seemed to pick up on her worries and clapped Blair on the shoulder, leading him to the couch.

"If we're very good, maybe my partner will let us break out the rest of our wine."

"Unless I drank it all," Esperanza laughed.

Lully pouted at her. "Petal, you didn't."

"I didn't," she agreed. "Here, take the plate and I'll get the bottle."

It was the rest of what Levi had purchased a week ago. Esperanza hadn't quite understood why Levi had insisted they take it, but she hadn't argued. Lully had been trying to save up credits for more work at the lake, not that it matter right now with no more materials.

"So are you excited about the expedition?" Blair asked Lully.

Esperanza divided the wine into their former water glasses and took a sip of hers.

Lully shrugged. "Not really. I'm just babysitting the printer while Emerson tests materials and gets to do other exciting things. I understand that not all of the work we do is glamorous, but I'm going to be kilometers from the base, sitting under a tent running diagnostics and tapping my foot. I never thought I'd say this but I'd rather be in my office. At least then I'd be able to come home to Esperanza."

"I'm supposed to go," Blair remarked, wine glass in hand. "But, it means that I'd have to leave Geordie with someone, and I'm not thrilled about that. Madison says someone from medical has to go, and you work with cryo, and Florence just got her partner, and Madison obviously can't."

"I could talk to Madison," Esperanza suggested, a plan forming. "Then I could go with Lully and you could stay here with your son. We would both be happier."

Blair glanced toward the small bedroom and sighed. "Only if you want," he said. "But I would be in your debt. I already can't thank you enough for watching Geordie."

"Nonsense," Esperanza told him. "You are my friend, and you don't deserve how this cycle has treated your family. I'll talk to Madison in the morning and I'm sure Lully is already plotting to convince Vertov it's a better idea for me to go than you."

Lully chuckled. "You know me too well, Esperanza. And you're right, I would much rather see your face every day than Blair's. No offense."

"None taken." Blair sipped his wine. "Based on the rumors I've heard about you, we'd end up in a ravine somewhere fighting off native killer vines or something equally absurd."

Lully groaned. "You get shot once and people think you constantly run into danger's arms. It was only the one time."

Esperanza rolled her eyes. Lully had only stayed out of trouble because Esperanza kept him from continuously checking on their wayward friends. Harper and Cameron were mess unto themselves, but Dylan and Levi weren't any better. Esperanza wanted a partner to come home to and worried that the others' antics would get more people killed.

Blair set his glass down and yawned. "Thank you for the evening, but I should get Geordie home now," he said, rising from his seat. "I'll see you tomorrow, Esperanza. Good night, Lully."

Esperanza set her own glass down and opened the door for Blair to pick up his sleepy son. He looked down at the box of toys and clothes and frowned.