Remember

He’s dead.

Arine woke up suddenly, her body tingling with knowing. She could not shake off the icy chill that had settled into her heart, nor could she calm down the pit of dread coiled deep inside her stomach. Throwing off the covers, the coldness hit her sharply but unlike any other day, she did not sink back down in the recesses of her bed.

Instead, she walked over towards her window. Overlooking the ocean, it had always been a landscape which conjured both longing and deep sadness inside of her. Not today. Opening the window, the wind instantly ruffled the curtains, which billowed softly. Combined with the full moon that directly faced her window, it was an eerie sight indeed.

Arine had no need for light. It had always hurt her eyes to be around electrical lights for too long but this light, the light of the moon was welcoming indeed. Allowing it to settle onto her face, the frown that creased her forehead relaxed somewhat as her hands slowly unclenched. Taking a deep breath, she leaned forward, feeling the wind play on her face. Caressing her face, she allowed the wind to tickle her skin before focusing all of her senses towards the sea.

Staying in that position, her arms crossed on the windowsill with her head leaned outside, she stayed silent. Listening. Waiting. Almost discernibly, the sound of the ocean came-quiet lapping waves and that was enough for Arine. Turning away, she rummaged for her shoes before running out of the house.

Head held high, she allowed her legs to lead her to the ocean. Though it was almost three at night, the long purposeful strides, set jaw and steely eyes she had, told that despite being alone, she was not afraid. There was no reason to be after all… not now.

Not when her husband had paid the price to appease the ocean.

The salty spray of the ocean hit her as she listened to soft rhythmic pounding of the waves. Straining her eyes, she tried to see the movement of the water but failed to see it. The silver light of the moon was reflected in its murky depths, tossing a kaleidoscope of colours into the water.

Sitting down on the wet boulder, Arine continued to listen to the ocean. Soft and quiet, it was merely murmuring its words now as opposed to the tempest it had been just hours before. Listening to it, a smile played on her face, though the frown still creased her face as she scanned the waters. Suddenly, she saw a wooden small boat bob on the ocean, coming towards her.

It moved of its own accord for there was no disruption in the sea. No extra splashing or discordant movement of the small crests came and it was then that Arine bowed her head as she recognised the boat. The shadowy figure who stood on the prow was not unfamiliar to Arine or the tales of the island. Swallowing nervously, she ignored the furious pounding of her heart and the way every muscle was tensed, screaming at her to run.

She would not run away. The boat suddenly came to a standstill at the tall stranger climbed out. With a long black cloak and a hat tilted to shadow his face, he paused for a moment. The two stayed like that, Arine her face bowed and body tensed and the stranger standing tall with folded arms.

Finally, the stranger spoke. “Will you not join me for a ride?”

A half sob crawled into Arine’s throat as she slowly turned her head up to face him. Her back was still hunched and she maintained a respectable distance from him. Cautiously, she let out a soft smile, her eyes darting back and forth between the stranger and the boat.

“Why ask when we both know that I have no choice?” the sad smile played on her face as she met the silver eyes of the stranger.

The stranger’s back straightened as his hands clenched tightly. For a few minutes, the heavy silence reverberated around the pair, entrapping them like the cold sea mist. Then the stranger took his hat off. Tossing his wild unkempt hair, the scars on his face was seen clearly. A rugged beard grew on him and the sharp cheekbones he had were almost unnaturally defined.