Chapter 2: Magic is incredible

"Newt?" I questioned, with a soft voice, now.

"Just wait," he said, excitedly, opening the case.

He stepped into the case. I was terrified. Was this even possible. He walked down, as if it was a staircase, descending until he disappeared. I let out an almost unhuman scream, terrified.

"Newt?" I called, shakily.

"I'm fine! Come on down!" he yelled to me from inside the case.

"This is absolutely insane," I muttered to myself.

I walked down into the case, warily. Newt helped me down, since I was known to be quite the klutz. He knew that and he's quite the gentleman. I step down the wooden ladder into a small shed, which wasn't that much. It had a work table, some chairs, a few plants, and containers, stuffed with different tools.

"Newt?"

"Wait, wait. Close your eyes" Newt says smiling like a child. His goofy smile was spread from ear to ear.

"Oh, Newt, come on. Is this really necessary?" I questioned

"Of course!" He said, sarcastically trying to sound offended.

And so, with a sigh, I followed orders and I closed my eyes. He took my hands to lead me. His hands were large, so he could hold my hands in a fist, but he did so gently. I always enjoyed when he did this. They were leathery, and that always comforted me. I'm not sure why, but I preferred this to any silky-smooth hand that had ever touched mine.

"Ok, here's a step, oop, and one more, ok, stop. Now open your eyes."

I opened my eyes and looked around, with my mouth hanging open. I saw different environments, with different buildings in all of them. I walked around and see that they were all different, and quite large.

"Newt, this is amazing" I said, looking at him

"Really it's not much but I like it" he said, trying to seem humble. He avoiding eye contact with me, which was one of the cutest things.

I walked over to him, and lifted his jaw. It was round, as he still had a baby face. A baby face with beautiful, green eyes. They were complex, as I could see hazel and a blue outline in them.

"I think that it's wonderful, " I said "But what exactly is this place?" I asked, walking around.

"Oh, right!" he shouted, "It's a place to keep and take care of magical creatures. That shed is where we'd mix potions and do work, and out here are different habitats for all of them! It's not quite done yet, but I thought that we could work on it together?" he said, uncertainly, his head facing down, but his eyes looking up at me.

I stared at him in shock, as he rubbed the back of his neck. I ran up to him, and took him into a tight embrace. He didn't hug back at first, out of shock, but then he awkwardly, slowly put his arms around me.

"Yes, yes. I would love to," I said, putting my hands on his arms, and pulling away from that hug.

"Great!" he said, his eyes lighting up, and his plump lips forming into a smile. "The Room of Requirement gives you anything you need, and looks like we need supplies. Oh, but first.." he began, walking over to a jungle area.

I followed him and we walked through some bamboo, to something made of vines. I saw Newt staring and smiling like an idiot into it. I stood next to him, and saw a baby occamy sitting in this little bed.

"Is that...?" I began, but couldn't finish

"The occamy we saw hatch. Yes, it is. I've kept it safe until I finished the spell to get my case this way, very difficult by the way, between teachers and students, and being away from it, but I had to create a pen for him immediately," he said, picking the little thing up.

Newt handed it to me, and the occamy looked at me, recognizing me. I wanted to snuggle up to it, but I knew that it wouldn't appreciate that. I looked it in the eyes, and saw it squirm, so I put it back into the pen.

"One more thing," Newt said.

I followed him into some sort of dirt mound with tunnels in it. I saw one section glowing gold, and went to go and stand next to Newt again. I looked into the hole and see the baby niffler that we had rescued sleeping on a little, makeshift pile of gold.

"I had to give him some of mine so he'd stop rummaging around the school. I suggest giving him some, as well" he said.

I let out a laugh and reached into my pocket. I set a few coins for him to have when he would awake.

"How did you work on this between quidditch practice and lessons?" I asked, curiosity taking over.

"It's been difficult," he said. "Sometimes, I would spend the whole night down here, and other times I could spend a few minutes. Finding the enchantment was difficult, but I finally got it right. So, what do you say? Do you want to start working?" He asked, lit up.

"Of course!" I responded. "I'll go upstairs and hand materials to you.

"Sounds like a plan," He said, with a determined, yet gentle look on his face.