38: Is it the end?!

Start from the beginning

"Why are you doing this Ronnie? What went so wrong? Why did you bring us here at such cross roads?" she asked him tiredly, as her fingers kept running through his hairs. His eyes opened wide and he pushed her away from him.

"What did I do? I didn't harm you. I'm not troubling you... See, I'm out of your way now!" he told her with a sad smile.

"You think you aren't troubling anyone of us by doing this? Look at you...see what you've done to yourself! You think this doesn't affect me?" she choked on her words. He avoided looking at her and walked up to his desk to grab his unfinished bottle of liquor. Kathy followed him and then took away the bottle from him.

"Just give it back to me!" he yelled. He felt desparate and exposed. He needed liquor to make him forget everything, to get rid of that unbearable pain.

"No!" she said, her voice calm but firm.

"I'm no good Kathy. I don't want to harm you...just give it back to me!" he told her tiredly but she didn't budge.

"Talk to me Ronnie, tell me what's troubling you, let it out!" she pleaded as her hands cupped his cheeks. She felt him lean in to her touch and they kept staring at each other, lost in their own worlds, with their own thoughts.

"Did he say something?" the spell broke as Narendra Shenoy's voice rang in the empty room. Ronnie pushed her away from him and grabbed the bottle from behind her.

"Alright, I'll tell the guards not to let him anywhere near our office. Kathy, I want you to work for us from now on!" he ordered when no one answered him.

"But-" Kathy started.

"That's my final decision." he said and walked out of the office. She stood there stunned. She had to do something. All this belonged to Ronnie, she couldn't just take it all away from him. She had to make him understand, she had to bring him back to his senses. She had to leave him and everyone behind if that was what it took to bring him back to his old self.

"Listen to me Ronnie...just listen to me!" she said and threw his bottle across the room, breaking it and making him growl.

"You have to keep moving. You can't stop living because of anyone or anything. The show must go on...I want you to get back to your normal life. I want you to promise me that you'll try to go back to your old hard working self. Do this for me...do this if you ever considered me your friend, or if I meant anything to you at all; do it for my happiness!" she pleaded, her voice urgent. Reluctantly, he shook his head up and down as he promised her to atleast try and become his old self. She heaved a sigh of relief and left his office.

'I'd have to inform his dad later on' she thought as she exited their office premises.

She'd faced a lot of questions and faced anger of her loved ones in the two months that Ronnie had messed up. She tried to lie and come up with excuses each day; she was hurting herself, she was breaking. She knew that she was the reason behind everything but she didn't get a chance to explain herself. One chance was all she wanted but maybe she had asked too much from him.

She had seen him drinking his ass off, getting close to random girls, making losses, getting defeated by newcomers, mistreating people who cared about him, he'd often treat her badly in his drunken state; she had seen all of Ronnie's negative side in those few days and the worst thing was that she still loved him with all his follies. She was hurting because of him.

"How are you? Did he talk to you?" Vinnie asked her as soon as Kathy reached home.

"I'm fine and yeah we talked. He'll not create scenes from now on." she said and then locked herself in her room.