Chapter Twenty-Six;

Start from the beginning

"Your highness," beamed Kenna as she tilted her head up. "To think, people will now be bowing to me instead of me to then."

"You will still have to bow to people, Kenna," Greer informed her as she leaned against Kenna's bedpost. "Kings and Queens mainly."

"I don't mind that," she laughed. "But I will no longer have to bow to ladies or duchesses. They will bow to me."

"I hate to ruin the fun, but if you don't hurry, you will be late to your own party," said Mary with a smile on her face.

"Oh right," Kenn stood up and crossed over to a table where a ruby necklace laid, along with matching earrings. "I do not want to disappoint the people."

Lola looked at Greer and both women burst out into a fit of laughter. Even Mary placed a hand to her mouth to hide her smile.

"Kenna, do try not to forget that the people of France are my people, not yours," she said.

"Oh don't worry Mary, I know."

"Look at you all," Lola's smile faded to a weak one as she looked at all her friends. "Mary is the Queen of Scotland and France, Kenna the Princess of Denmark, Greer the head lady to the Princess Elizabeth's household and then there's me, the mother of the King's bastard. You have all risen so high and I-I sound selfish. This is Kenna's big day, forgive me."

"No, it's quite alright," Kenna walked over to Lola and held her hand. "Really, if it wasn't for Alaina I wouldn't even be a princess."

"If it wasn't for Alaina, who knows where I would be," said Greer.

"Yes," Mary was quiet as she spoke, perhaps from realizing something. "Had it not been for Alaina, I would still be worried about the state of my country. She has done a great deal for us."

"She really has," admitted Kenna. "She kept Greer close so that she could be near us, and when she knew she'd be taking Elizabeth, she married me to the prince of her own country so that Greer would not be entirely alone."

"She has yet to do anything for me," said Lola.

"Perhaps that's because your only crime is birthing the king's son and even that isn't really a crime. You have been most lucky, Lola," said Kenna as she squeezed her hand. "You haven't needed to rely on Alaina to save you like we have."

"But still, I can't help but feel a little jealous, is that wrong?"

"Not really," said Greer. "I'm in charge of looking after the next empress, that is all I can do. No man will want my hand once they find out I'm married and my husband in prison."

"Have you considered an annulment?"

"I have, and Alaina has spoken to me about one, but I'm not sure I'm ready to depend on a man again."

"But it wasn't yours or his fault, Greer, and you know that."

Greer nodded her head slowly but didn't get a chance to speak when a knock sounded at the door.

"Your highness, the prince awaits your company."

"Oh good heavens, I forgot! We must go," Kenna hurried out of the chamber followed by Mary, Lola, and Greer.

"Husband," she said as she greeted the young prince. Fredrick was much younger than Kenna, but he was taller than her in height. He had dark curls like his older brother, but his eyes were brown instead of blue. And although his French was good, he was not as fluent as Kenna was.

He nodded his head and smiled as he held out his hand to her. She smiled back, placing her hand in his and turning toward the door so that they could enter the room where their wedding celebration took place.

*****

The celebration went well into the next day, when the was barely rising into the sky, the party gathered outside to see the newlyweds off.

"Promise you'll write," Mary hugged Kenna tightly.

"I will, to all of you," she said as she looked to them all. "It's a bit sad isn't it?"

"A little, but we know you will be happy."

"Not to mention, I will be in Denmark shortly."

"Mary, Lola, I do hope you'll both come to visit."

"Of course, you can count on it. Now don't keep your husband waiting any longer."

All four hugged each other at the same time before Kenna turned to get in the carriage. Once the door was shut, she leaned forward and waved goodbye to the place she once considered home.