Chapter Five

The walk to my parents' house was a bit of a long one, it was late and I was tired by the time I got there. My parents had some well paying jobs, my father was a lawyer- not a very good one in my opinion, but not for the reasons one would think- and my mother owns a jewelry company. Because of this we live in a large, gorgeous house. It's rather impressive and I suppose I'm lucky to live there. 

Of all the things I didn't want to see when I walked in I'd say my mom making out with some younger guy in the front hallway was near the top of the list. Because my mom was rich and very young looking, this was a common situation. When they noticed me coming in they tried to act like they hadn't been doing that but I wasn't stupid. 

"Storm! You're home!" My mother said, laughing nervously.

"Yeah. I am..." I said, ready to sprint up the stairs. I'd been gone for about three days and that was her only reaction. I'm pretty sure all three of us were uncomfortable here, it was starting to get a bit awkward. My mother excused herself before grabbing my arm and pulling me into the next room so we could talk in private.

 "You... aren't going to talk to your father about this, right...?" She asked.

​​​​​​ "Of course not." I told her. I never "talked" to my father. Sometimes he'd yell at me but we never "talked". My mother sighed in relief and smiled at me.

"Okay good. Now, don't you have something to be doing upstairs...?" She nudged me out of the room and I took it as a good sign I didn't want to be down there any longer as she walked back over to the guy. I hurried up the stairs and down the hall to my bedroom. My room was a good size, but I didn't have much in there. I had a bed, a dresser, a desk and a bookshelf but that was it. My walls were bare of any pictures or posters and my room was clean since I'm always leaving. I went and flopped down on my bed, closing my eyes and sighing. It was nice to lay down and relax, especially after the night I had last night.

I laid there for a while before I finally got up and went to take a shower. I went to the bathroom and turned on the shower before I started getting undressed. I froze up a bit when I caught sight of something in the mirror. There was a thin, black line going around the middle of my neck. I wasn't sure how long it had been there, I hadn't seen it this morning and nobody had mentioned it. It was a dark solid line, I tried rubbing it away but it seemed like a permanent tattoo. I wondered if it had anything to do with Knave, and I figured I'd ask him later and try to forget about it. I finished getting undressed and then took a quick shower, putting on some pajama pants and a hoodie before going back to my room.

I laid down again and checked my phone, finding a bunch of texts from Lillie asking about Knave. She may have been my best friend but sometimes I just wasn't in the mood. Tonight was one of those times so I just turned my phone off and figured I'd try to go to bed, getting up and turning my light off before getting into bed.

***

I fell asleep pretty soon but was woken a few hours later from the sound of my door slamming open. I was a bit disoriented, sitting up and pushing my hair out of my face. My father marched into my room and grabbed my arm, yanking me out of my bed. I stumbled a bit but steadied myself, avoiding looking up at him. This. This is why I say my father is not a good lawyer. It angers me that someone who deals with the law would actually treat someone the way he does me. I know why he does it. He knows what my mother does when he isn't home and he knows that I know too. And since I look like my mother, dark hair, pale blue eyes, and pretty- unfortunately feminine- facial features, he took it out on me. My father would never hit a woman, but I wasn't a woman. I just happened to look like the one he hated. That's why he pulled me out of bed, and once I was standing on my feet he slapped me hard across the face. I flinched, my hand immediately going to cover where I'd been hit. I wasn't stupid enough to fight back. I tried once, when I was younger and this first began, and it was a dumb mistake.

"She was with another one, wasn't she?!" He shouted at me, but I just bit my lip and didn't reply, staring straight down at the floor. He grabbed my hair and forced me to look up at him, shouting the same question. This time I nodded as best I could, just trying to avoid making eye contact with him. He let go of my hair and I started to step back but he didn't hesitate to raise his fist and hit me as hard as he could. Thankfully I didn't pass out, but I did fall over. Before I could get up he kicked me in my stomach and I started to feel sick. I knew if I tried to get up he'd just hit me again, so I curled up right there and just tried to hold out and wait for the beating to end. Soon enough he grew tired of kicking me and yelling at me and finally left me alone, laying on the ground in pain. I was still laying there when I heard a familiar snapping noise.

"There you are! I've be-... human...? You ok there?" I looked up and saw Knave standing there, looking confused. "Why are you on the floor?" I ignored him and started to get myself off the floor. He walked over to me, looking almost... worried.

"I'm fine." I said, sitting on my bed. He bent down so we were eye to eye.

"You're lip is bleeding." He reached up and wiped away a drop of blood with his thumb.

"I'm fine." I repeated.

"You're not fine. What happened."

"Nothing!" I snapped. For a minute he looked incredibly angry, going so far as to raise his hand as if he was about to slap me. He probably was going to, but he seemed to freeze when I immediately put my hands up to protect myself. He sighed and lowered his hand, and I did the same, looking down at my lap.

"Just because I worried about you're well being doesn't mean you can speak to me anyway you wish, I'm still your master and you're still my slave." He said, standing up straight. "Now let's go." I looked up at him.

"Go where?" I asked.

"Away from here. Gather whatever you wish to bring and lets go." He said. I started to stand up and and made my way around my room, gathering clothes into my bag before grabbing my phone and then putting shoes on. Once I was ready I looked over at Knave and just nodded. He came over and grabbed my arm, which still hurt from being yanked out of bed, and snapped his fingers. Next thing I knew we were in the house from before. Once there I went and took my place on the floor where I had slept before. He looked down at me before sighing. "Get up. You can sleep on the couch, it's fine." He said. I slowly got up before laying down on the couch like he said. He said goodnight before going and getting in his own bed. We didn't say anything after that and soon enough I was asleep.