Chapter 20: Culprit Found!

Start from the beginning

“Is something wrong?” Sebastian readjusted his gloves.

Kat responded slowly, something was definitely…different about this place, “I have this odd feeling. Someone is watching us, that I know, but there’s something else that I’m unsure of.”

“Then we should put your mind at ease and answer a few questions while we’re at it yes?” The butler offered her his arm, “I shall be your escort this evening into the mayhem and bloodshed that is sure to ensue tonight.”

Shoving him away playfully Kat started towards the building, her fingers itching towards her weapons. She had to remind herself constantly to not touch them, giving away their position.

The door to the bar creaked as it opened, the few patrons that graced its drinking hall were covered in a layer of filth and stench that would make a mud caked hog proud, only a rare few turned to inspect the newcomers.

We are seriously out of place…but as Rhose says, even if you don’t look the part play it, most of the time people will believe it anyway. Straightening Kat walked over to the bar and took an empty stool, “What garbage do you have that’s worth drinking?”

The bartender, a good foot taller than Sebastian and four times as wide glared at her with his one good eye, “We don’t get many ladies down in these parts all I’ve got is the ‘ard stuff.”

“Give me a shot, I need it.” Sebastian took a seat next to her, “Make that two.” The bartender grumbled but went to fetch the glasses.

“I did not realize you drank.”

Kat surveyed the room out of the corner of her eye, “I don’t, but if you’re a paying customer these kind of people will be more willing to talk.”

A cloudy shot glass appeared in front of her amber liquid filling it, “There you are princess,” taking a deep breath Kat downed the shot quickly, the alcohol burning her throat on the way down. “That was a nice start, give me another please.”

The man seemed to be impressed his one eyebrow had shot up after Kat hadn’t coughed or reacted to the strong spirits he had just given her and she knew he had purposely given her the strongest I the house. “As you say.”

This time when the man came back Kat swirled the liquor around in the glass, not drinking, “You know something? I haven’t had spirits this good in a while; you must have trouble getting them in here with all the disappearances going on around here.”

The bartender dried his hands on a dirty dishrag, “That be true, it is ‘ard getting the stuff in ‘ere when it was the drunks comin’ round. My names Tom by the way, all the regulars call me that.”

Kat smiled drunkenly, “Well if you keep getting this stuff I would be more than tempted to be a regular. Where do you get it from?”

“A man sells it to me, real cheap he does.”

“Cheap?” this sounds promising. “I can’t imagine that he buys them cheap, why does he give them to you cheap?”

Tom eyed her for a moment, “I don’t know, he does rent a room above the bar for free in return though.” Kat exchanged a look with Sebastian out of the corner of her eye, he nodded and slipped away.

“What’s your friend there doin’? It isn’t very smart of ‘im to leave a drunken lady by herself, things could happen.” He watched Sebastian’s retreating form.

Depositing the money for the drinks on the table Kat smiled at him again, “He just went out to make sure the horses are all right that’s all, you can keep the change.” It should cover the damages.