1.

"i'm bored." sam huffed, surrounded by her three best friends, max, joji, and ian.

"samantha, if you complain one more time i'm gonna scream." max grunted, nudging sam's legs that were currently wrapped around his.

"guys, i'm bored." sam immediately turned to ian and joji, waiting for a reaction from max.

"go do something with your meathead boyfriend." max spoke up, sarcasm apparent in his voice.

"maybe i will." sam popped up, reading the messages on her phone.

"oh, look, derek wants to hang out." sam smirked, waving her phone in max's face.

"don't leave." max pleaded, pulling sam down on top of him, earning a loud laugh.

sam's laugh was one of max's favorite sounds, it could brighten up even his darkest days.

max and sam remained in the same comfy position for a few moments too long, earning a glare from the boys sitting awkwardly across from them.

ian loudly cleared his throat, shifting the attention to him.

"i'll text you guys later." sam smiled warmly, walking out the door.

"dude, you have to tell her." joji spoke as soon as the coast was clear.

"it's so obvious." ian added.

"i don't know what to say or even how to go about it, what if she doesn't feel the same way? what if she's in love with derek?" max leaned his frizzy head back, letting his mind think of multiple different scenarios, good and bad.

"well, you can start with 'i've been in love with you for the past eight years'." joji chuckled.

max slowly tilted his head forward again, giving joji a borderline life threatening glare.

"she has to feel some type of way, she's always so handsy with you." ian rambled, taking the negative attention off of joji's snarky ass.

"can we do literally anything else." max nodded slowly, exhaling a deep breath.

"jean shorts, shotta henny." joji smirked, bringing out the large bottle of hennessy from the kitchen.

many shots later the boys were half-lit, they would say.

"have you guys seen the movie avatar? it's overrated in my opinion, unless you've got surround sound." max slurred, obnoxiously cracking open a beer.

"okay buddy, i think it's time to slow down with the drinks." joji laughed, guiding max to the couch.

"i miss sam." max whined as ian replaced the full beer bottle in max's hand with a cup of water.

"you're such a light weight, dude." ian joked, taking a seat on the couch across from him.

after many moments of silence, max spoke up "sometimes i think of the memories i had with sam, before douchey derek fucked everything up." max admitted, sipping on his water.

"what ever gets you through, man." joji shrugged.

with the help of water, pizza, and time, max was nearly sober again.