He laughed. “Okay, okay. Meet me at my office. I’ll text you the address. I have to go now. Bye, Beth.”

“Bye, Noah,” I said. I pressed the disconnect button and got up to open the door. Tilly, who I knew would be eavesdropping, fell forward onto the floor and groaned in pain. I side-stepped her and walked to the kitchen to make my coffee. I heard her rustle as she stood up and shuffled after me.

“You’re going on a date? With who? That guy who called you yesterday in Luke’s car? Or the super cute one from the bar?” She asked, trailing behind me. “Or is it someone you met in Canada? Damn, Canadian guys are so hot. One time, I had this dream that—” I turned around swiftly to face her. Oblivious, she continued to walk, bumping into me. She knew very well that it was the guy from the bar. She was a damn good eavesdropper and I knew Tilly well enough to know that she was just trying to be nonchalant. I cocked an eyebrow and crossed my arms, not answering. “Fine. Jesus, Beth. I was just trying to make conversation. Besides, I give you my blessing.”

“Thank you, Oh Mighty One!” I raised my hands above my head and bowed in front of her. Tilly rolled her eyes and brushed past me. 

Tilly stopped at the door of the kitchen. “Who’s that? The doorframe between the hallway and the kitchen was a tiny one, so I peered over Tilly’s shoulder to see who she was referring to.

“Oh. That’s Jane’s boyfriend,” I answered, pushing her forward.

“He’s hot,” she commented. Ever the subtle one, she was.  

Charlie was sitting at the table reading the paper. He put it down when he heard us walk in and stood up from his seat.

“Good morning,” he said, smiling.

“In case the both of you failed to notice, this apartment is tiny and there’s barely enough room for my family to fit, let alone a couple strangers.”

I heard Tilly gasp from behind me. She grumbled something about practically being a member of the family. Charlie chuckled and stepped forward with his hands in his pockets. His gaze met mine, and then it landed on Tilly. His eyes narrowed and he pursed his lips. She froze behind me as he studied her intently. He gripped my arm gently and pulled me aside, allowing him full view of Tilly. I thought his behaviour was kind of odd for a guy whose girlfriend was showering in the room next door.

“I know you from somewhere,” he finally said.

Tilly shifted under his gaze. “No, you don’t. I’ve never seen you before in my life.” She toyed with the hem of her shirt, rolling and unrolling it—a habit she did when she was lying. I stepped back and lifted myself up onto the counter, swinging my legs as I watched the situation play out in front of me. People could rarely ever make Tilly nervous. It was amusing watching her squirm.

“Yes I do,” he insisted. “You look awfully familiar.”

“Well you don’t,” she snapped. She stormed out of the kitchen and into the living room. Charlie and I watched her disappear around the wall, and then he turned to me and shrugged.

“That was odd,” I said.

“Is your sister finished? She said ‘five more minutes’ almost an hour ago,” he complained.     

“Don’t you have any sisters? She’s a girl, what did you expect?” He grumbled, sipping the last of his coffee before placing the mug in the sink.

My phone buzzed in the pocket of my sweatpants, alerting me of a new text from Tilly. She was in the living room. Why did she think it was necessary to text me? I unlocked my phone and read the text: come 2 the living room. I sighed loudly and hopped off of the counter. Upon entering the living room, I found her sitting on the recliner by the fish tank. She was rubbing her wrist. Tilly looked up when she noticed me walk in and patted the couch beside her.