“What...what do you mean?”

“I mean...does he have to be your special someone?” Marisa just stared at him. To her shock, he took hold of her hand.

“When I sent you those roses, I meant every word in those cards. I was really serious.” Marisa’s eyes widened.

“You...you were the one...who sent me those flowers?!” Dr. David nodded.

“I’ve never been very good about expressing my feelings. But, since the day we met, I’ve been thinking about you all the time. I couldn’t get you out of my mind. I wanted to change myself into a more confident person. Someone who would have what it takes to make you truly happy. Because I...I really like you.” Marisa felt as though her heart had skipped a beat. Never in a hundred years did she think that something like this would happen to her.

“Why? Why didn’t I see it? Dr. David likes me? Why didn’t I notice that?” She felt him squeeze her hand.

“Marisa, I’m really serious about you. Can I be your special someone?” Marisa thought to herself.

“When I think about it, we do have a lot in common. We have similar goals and dreams. We both want to do whatever we can to help people with our knowledge as doctors. And I do like Dr. David. He’s always been very helpful and considerate. In many ways, he reminds me of myself. Maybe because of that, we would go well together.” Just then, Thomas’s smiling face came into Marisa’s mind. She gasped as she envisioned he was the one standing in front of her.

“But...but I...” Lowering her head, Marisa pulled her hand away. Dr. David looked at her.

“I...I’m sorry...I’m really sorry...But I...” Thomas’s face came to mind again.

“I...really truly...love Thomas. I can’t think of loving anyone else but him.” Dr. David sighed.

“Even if he doesn’t love you back?” Marisa gripped her hands.

“I...I want to be there for him. Just like he was there for me. I want to stand by his side until he achieves true happiness. Even if...it means I won’t be by his side in the end. Because, I can’t possibly forget about someone I truly love with all my heart.” Dr. David gasped.

“Please, don’t let yourself get all torn up because of me. I’m sure you too will find someone of your own whom you can call your special someone. I’m sure she will make you much happier than I could.” Dr. David just stood there for a minute. Then, he stood back up. Marisa looked at him.

“I may not know what the future has in store for us, but...” He held out his hand to her.

“I hope it will be a happy one. One where we can truly be with the people we love.” Marisa couldn’t help but smile as she took his hand and stood up.

“Yes. I hope so too. Thank you for understanding.”

“Sure thing. Even so, if you ever need anything, please let me know. I promise I will do whatever I can to help.” Marisa smiled as she wiped a tear from her eye.

“Thank you.” With that said, Marisa walked out of the room and headed towards the parking lot.

“Now that I think about it, I wonder if Dustin felt the same way I just did when I told him I really liked him? I should have realized Dustin wasn’t the kind of person who would just leave somebody hanging like that. I’m sure he wanted to say those very words to me but just didn’t know how to. In the end, all he could think of doing was avoiding me. Even though he knew it wasn’t the best thing to do, he couldn’t think of anything else. I wonder if he still feels regret about that?”