The Lady Quill Chronicles - The Promise - Chapter Fourteen

Start from the beginning

Rafe’s eyes met his a steely light in their depths.

“I see your dilemma.”

“But you have not even begun to see!” objected Daegmund, “For added to all of this is the fact that I am indebted to you!”

“You surprise me.”

“Yes, I rather thought I would. If it had not been for your…intervention…my brothers premature demise might not have happened for some time.” Daegmund paused looking thoughtful. “Although knowing what I do of Bertolf it is entirely possible he could have achieved his end without help, the useless, drunken sot!”

Rafe startled eyes met those of Daegmund and found them to be full of mirth.

“Of course it did not occur to you that I might be pleased to have him out of my way. He was an embarrassment, a fool who had no thought in his head except for that of his next drink, and to him was entrusted the wealth of our Family!” he muttered disgustedly. “Your family is bound together by love and affection, mine by the bonds of honour, for goodness knows that we have no love for each other, the only reason we have survived this long is pride in our family name. We may hate each other but others are not allowed the same luxury. So you see, through you I have attained my brother’s station and it seems to me a little ungracious to kill you after you have done me such a good turn, and yet I cannot be seen to allow you to escape without punishment.”

“I do not see how you will address the matter satisfactorily then, it seems to be hopeless.”

“Can you not?” queried Daegmund. “The answer is before you, just the same.”

For a moment there was silence between them and Daegmund leant forwards in his chair a contented smile creasing his face.

“You are being followed.” Daegmund fell back in to the comfort of the furs and lifted his eyebrows knowingly. “Surely the great Rafe of Valrek must have known he was being followed?”

“I was aware.”

Daegmund laughed.

“Did you really think that I would not know also?”

“It may surprise you, Daegmund, but I am not in the habit of thinking of you or your opinions.”

Sharp colour rose in Daegmund of Gradock’s cheeks and for the first time Rafe saw a resemblance between him and the youth, Anlaf.

“You are a fool, Valrek.” A rather ugly look entered Daegmund's eyes displaying the temper that the house of Gradock was famed for. “So know your fate; I will turn you back onto my lands without horse, bow, axe or spear, sword I will allow for I like to see some sport! We will see how long you can evade those who are pursuing you. When they catch you, and catch you they will, I will have avenged my brothers blood, restored my honour and all without any action for which I can be punished!”

“And if I escape?”

Daegmund tilted his head to one side gazing at Rafe with an amused and thoughtful air.

“Hang it!” He slapped the arm of his chair, “If you escape, then this business will be at an end, you will deserve the reprieve. Do you not agree, Anlaf?”

The youth pulled out his knife, twisting it this way and that so the jewels in the hilt caught the light.

“It seems reasonable, Daegmund.” His eyes narrowed, “ But I would not be so sure that he will not escape.”

“That is because you are nought but a foolish boy,” smiled Daegmund fondly.

Anlaf smiled and shook his head.