~Part 5~

Part 5 ~~ by Joshua Eddy (guest writer)

_____________________________________________________

I knew that something had to be done.  I could not mistake what I had just heard: in a way that I couldn’t understand, I was being used for something evil.  I didn’t know why, how, or when, but I knew that escape was the only option.  

Seeing people doing it in movies, I had always questioned the reliability of tying sheets together to form a rope out of a window.  My doubts in the method only intensified as I carefully tied my bed coverings together.  I checked the tightness of each knot, and then carefully tied my rope to a leg of the bed.  I grabbed some fruit from a bowl to pack away in my pockets and walked slowly, but purposefully, to the window.  It couldn’t have been much higher than my two story house back home – wherever that was…if it was anywhere.  No – I couldn’t think about that.  If I wanted any chance of getting back, I had to focus on the task at hand.  Without allowing myself to look back, I grasped the rope, and lowered myself out the window.

I passed two windows on my descent, but the reflections of the low afternoon sun prevented me from seeing inside.  

My motions were slow, nimble, purposeful, and controlled, avoiding the making of a single sound.  I knew that dance training would prove of use beyond the studio and stage, but this experience really topped them all.  I had almost reached the end of the rope, and there were still twenty feet between me and that vicious cohort of gravity: the ground.  I paused for a moment to consider my options, then realized that I only had two: drop, and risk breaking an arm or leg, or climb back into the room and await my almost certain destruction.  Being known for rapid thought and impulsive action, I chose option A and let go of the rope before I had time to change my mind.  The ground raced towards me like a snarling dog, and within moments I was bitten, and bitten hard.  Searing pain shot up and down my left leg.  I felt like I was going to throw up, and my vision turned blurred as the tears flooded my eyes.  It was all I could to not scream in pain and shock when I saw my foot – twisted almost to a 45-degree angle.  If I had withheld the scream for fear of being caught, I should have let it out taken some relief from it, for standing above me was the last person I had hoped to see.  

Amyas gently helped me to my feet.

“Katherine, what are you doing out here?”  He asked with concern could not have been mistaken for anything but genuine.  I had told some pretty big lies in my life and gotten away with them, but I knew somehow that there was no chance of lying my way out of this one.  There was only one thing to do.

“I know what you’re trying to do, and I won’t have any part in it!” I yelled, way too loud.  Amyas looked utterly shocked.

“Katherine, what are you talking about?” He asked, taking my hand.  I pulled it away.

“You and Vaelon are plotting against the kingdom of Harthby!  Don’t lie to me; I heard you with my own ears.”

Amyas seemed completely unaffected by these words. 

“Foolish girl, you can’t expect to understand these things!”  He said it as if he were talking to a five year old.  “Vaelon and I were discussing plans for the recovery of the kingdom.  You see, Vaelon is the rightful heir of the throne, but it was stolen from him by the rebels of the hill country.”

I may not have been as informed as I thought, but I wasn’t stupid either.

“If Vaelon is a good man, then why did you speak of him as a villain when you said that you rescued me from him? Why did you 

lie to me?”

“How could I have known whether or not I could trust you? The rebel’s spies are everywhere!  But I see now that you are a seeker of truth, a guardian of all that is good.  Your unrivaled beauty is only one of your admirable qualities.”

I had never been called beautiful, and it felt wonderful to be called beautiful by such a man as he.  He continued:

“I see gifting in you that is rare, indeed.  If I had known what a treasure I held that day, I would have brought you into all the details of my plan for the kingdom and made you a central part of it all.  The best part is that it’s not too late.”  He kneeled.  “Katherine, Harthby needs you. I need you.  The kingdom cannot be spared without you.  You have been promised to us by the prophets of long ago, and here you are.  Please, help us!  We need you.”  He reached out his hand to me.

I had never felt so important in my entire life.  This man was offering me the world, and all I had to do was say yes.  I reached forward to take his hand, but was compelled to pause.  I was suddenly overwhelmed with a feeling –  no, much stronger than a feeling.  It was a gut instinct.  This man could not be trusted!  But no…  He looked so genuine.  His piercing blue eyes seemed to gaze right through me.  I must trust this man!  But no! I cannot!  Oh, the confliction was more than I could bear!  In that chaotic moment, a faint, yet remarkably clear voice rang out in my mind.

“Cry the Name.”  What could this mean?  

“Cry the Name!”  What name!?

“Claim the promise! Cry the Name!” Now a promise? What promise and what name?  Then it came to me:  This was same voice that compelled me to escape.  Oh! What was the promise?  

“I will make the seeing blind and the blind seeing, for my glory.  Cry the Name!”

What name!?  Wait! I had prayed to God to save me when I was carried off by Vaelon.  Was this Him speaking to me now?  What is His name?  Yes! Jesus! Of course!  I’m supposed to cry the name of Jesus!  But no… Amyas couldn’t be someone that I needed saving from… I could have the world!  NO! YES! NO!  Something had to give!

“Jesus! Save me!”

Amyas reeled at those words and feel backwards.  He moaned and writhed about until I called his name.

“Amyas!”

He leapt to his feet and struck me across the face.

“If you call me by that name again, I will have you beaten!  You will call me master, you worthless slave!  Where has that filthy wretch Katherine run?”  I stared at him, confused.  “Answer me!”  I had no idea what else to say so I said the first thing that came to mind:

“She went that way!”  I said, pointing towards the west side of the house.  Amyas wasted no time in taking up his pursuit.

I stood there, stunned.  I finally realized that he no longer recognized me for who I was.  He was blind to me!  I fell on my knees.  All I could think to say was “thank you… thank you.”  Falling down reminded me of my mangled foot.  I cried out in pain.  I didn’t know what to do.  Running or walking wasn’t an option, and I had no idea where I was.  My situation, while slightly relieved for the moment, was still hopeless.