Vague

"Ay pota," she blurts out, unable to stop herself.

"Bunganga mo naman, uy," he chides with the hint of a smile at one end of his lips.

She clamps her mouth shut. "I'm so sorry. Hindi ko alam. Ayoko naman isipin mo na rude ako or napaka insen--."

"Hey," he cuts her off, his right hand up, "It's perfectly okay. Ako dapat ang mag sorry sa'yo. How bad is it?"

She looks down, almost forgetting her used-to-be-white shirt which is now brown with coffee stain.

"Ugh," she winces, "malala. Sobrang lala kelangan ko magpalit ng damit."

"Did you bring a change of clothes? I can buy you one, sabihin ko lang sa driver ko. If you can just wait here."

"Wow, meyemen, bes? No need. Dala ko ang buong buhay ko sa mga maletang yan," she says, pointing to three pieces of luggage in small, medium, and large, "ay pota, sorry, di mo pala nakikita."

He laughs.

"Can we take a seat?"

"Sus jusme, sorry. Dali, upo," she frantically leads him to her table.

"Sorry ka nang sorry, ako nga may kasalanan sa'yo. Which reminds me, magbihis ka na muna. I'll wait here."

She rummages through one of her bags, pulls out a crumpled yellow shirt, and hurriedly walks toward the restroom.

After a few minutes, she walks out to find him still sitting at the same spot where she left him.

"Pota ang gwapo," she says to herself, "at mukhang mabango. Lips pa lang, ulam na."

"What were you saying?," he asks, "Something to do with ulam?" She did not realize she had said those words out loud.

"Ahm, wala. Nag-iisip kasi ako kung ano ulam ko mamaya," she answers, "Yun."

"Oh. Akala ko sabi mo lips pa lang, ulam na," he half smiles, teasing her.

She could only turn red in embarrassment.

"So," she says with a breath, "Bulag ka." She stops, mentally slapping herself. "Pota, sorry. Dapat talaga tumahimik na lang ako eh."

He laughs at her again, amused.

"Wag. Ang cute mo nga eh," he says softly, "Well, hindi naman bulag na zero vision. I can still see, blurred lang. Like now, I know you're wearing a yellow shirt."

"Ah, okay. Ba't ganun? I mean, sakit ba yan?"

"Yes. Glaucoma. Progressive daw so eventually, I won't be able to see anymore," he explains.

"Ang creepy mo kanina ha. Grabe ka kung makatingin, na-awkward ako ng very light."

"Nilulubos ko na habang may nakikita pa,"
He smiles and tilts his head slightly, "Ganda ng view ko kanina, mas lalo naman ngayon."

She shakes her head, "Ikaw lang ang kilala ko na bulag na nga, breezy pa."

"Hindi mo pa 'ko kilala," he says, extending his right hand, "I'm Richard. Richard Faulkerson, Jr. And you are?"

"Nicomaine Mendoza," she replies, accepting his outstretched hand, "Pero Maine na lang."

He holds her hand a bit longer than necessary and then gives it a soft squeeze before releasing it.

"So what's your story, Ms. Mendoza? What do you do?"

"Well, I'm a nurse but I worked as a caregiver in London."

"Uy, nice. So kaya pala may dala kang maleta. Is it because you are home for a vacation?"

"Ahm, no. Namatay na kasi yung inaalagaan ko so umuwi na 'ko. No point in staying. Malungkot dun eh," she says, playing with a tissue.

"Yikes. Is that like a negative thing? Na namatay yung inaalagaan mo? Kasi you're supposed to take care of the person tapos namatay."

She playfully flicks the tissue unto him, "Judger ka! Porke ba namatay ako agad ang may kasalanan? Excuse me ha, she lived for 5 years when the doctors gave her just 2. She was bed-ridden the last year of her life pero namatay siya na walang bed sore, not even one."

"Talaga ba?," he teases, "Eh di magaling ka?"

"Oo naman," she answers with conviction.

"So hindi ka mahihirapan maghanap ng work."

"Ayun na nga. May imimeet ako for interview. Kaya kailangan ko na umalis," she stands up, "It was nice mee -- "

" -- you're hired."

"Ano?"

"You're hired. I want you to be my caregiver. Huwag ka na pumunta dun sa job interview mo. I'm offering you a job right here, right now."

"Wai--, ay te--, sandali..."

"Twenty-five thousand pesos starting salary plus monthly allowance of five thousand pesos for toiletries and other personal needs. You will have the weekends off and then 3 weeks paid vacation every year. You'll have free board, lodging, and WiFi access, of course. Also, you will have your own room, with 24/7 access to--"

"Wait! Teka lang!," she waves as she jumps up and down.

"Ayaw mo?," he asks, his eyes wide.

"Gusto! Pero hindi mo'ko kilala! Paano kung magnanakaw pala ako, or mamamatay tao?"

"Ah, eh di ipapakain kita kay Derrick."

"Sino si Derrick?

"Aso ko."

*****