28. Truth or dare? (Claire 2016)

Börja om från början

When he doesn't laugh with me, I realize that he's actually serious. In fact, nobody laughed. My laughter dies abruptly leaving an awkward silence hanging in the air.

"That's so lame," Alex said, Alex drapes his arm around my shoulder protectively.

"You don't have to play," Rory interjects, staring Alex down as if telling him to back off. Alex stares back, not backing down.

"Come on, it's the best way to know a new comer in our group," Nora agrees, but her tone is slightly less enthused than the rest. Somehow I got the feeling she only said that to ease the tension between Rory and Alex. It works. They tear their gaze away from each other reluctantly.

"If you don't play, you can't interrupt us," Damien suddenly said. His statement seems to taunt Alex. I can see Alex visibly flex his jaw.

"Uhh.. I don't want to play," I interrupt and the whole room erupts with laughter, except for Alex who's currently clenching his fist.

Apparently I can't not play. Boy, what have I got myself into?

"Fine, I'll play," he said finally.

They start to move the coffee table and the sofas out of the way so that we could sit down on the floor in a circle. Damien light up a candle and put it inside a short glass bottle, placing it in the center of the group. Somehow it makes me think that they have planned this all along. I mean, who brings a candle with them to a trip anyway?

"Found it!" Rory announces from the kitchen; a longer glass bottle in hand as she resumes her seat in the circle.

"I'll start," John said, his blue eyes twinkling in the dimly lit room.

He spins the bottle a little too strongly causing the bottle to spin round and round as if it doesn't want to stop. Everybody has their eyes on the bottle. When the bottle finally comes to a stop, the end points toward Damien. Damien rubs his hands together, excited.

"Let's do this," he challenges John.

"Truth or dare?" John asks Damien.

"Truth," Damien answers without hesitation.

"Have you ever killed anyone?" He asks, his blue eyes staring at Damien intensely.

"Yes," he answers without missing a beat. I gasp, but everyone in the room keeps silent.

"I accidentally drove over Felicity, my cat, once. That counts right?" he grins at me. I let out the breath that I'm unaware I'm holding.

"Next time, be specific," Rory chides.

"You'll scare the poor girl to death," Nora said, chuckling. Alex squeezes my shoulder, giving me a quick peck on the cheeks.

"I knew that," I said lamely, flustered.

"My turn," Damien said, looking at me devilishly.

What is with the obsession of knowing the new comer?

Damien spins the bottle and then it points towards Alex. Alex groans; Rory chuckles.

"Truth," Alex said without waiting for the question from Damien.

"Alex, have you ever had sex with a virgin?" He asks. A flush creeps up my cheeks at his question.

Did Alex tell them about me?

"Yes," he answers hastily as he snatches the bottle from Damien.

"You guys suck at this," Rory accuses, she tries to snatch the bottle from Alex but Alex swats her hand away.

"Wait for your turn," he scolds her.

Alex spins the bottle. It feels like an eternity somehow knowing that it could point towards me the next second.

The bottle points towards Rory. She squeals in excitement.

"Dare," she said.

"I dare you to french kiss John," Alex said. Rory rolls her eyes and stands up to walk towards John. When she got to him, she kisses him passionately with her tongue darting in and out of John's mouth.

"Gross!" I said involuntarily. Everybody laughs except for Nora. A splinter of hurt crosses her features.

"My turn!" Rory exclaims excitedly as she goes back to her seat.

She spins the bottle and round and round it goes. When the bottle stops, my heart skips a beat.

It's pointing towards me. My eyes widen and I swallow an imaginary lump in my throat.

"Dare," I finally said bravely. I've got too much secrets to risk it.

Rory's eyes glint in the darkness.

"I dare you to blow John," she said excitedly.

"That's enough!" Alex roar standing up abruptly, taking my arms, pulling me up with him.

"You're not playing fair!" John chuckles. "I promise she'll enjoy it. I'll even return the favor," he chuckles again. Nora stays quiet.

"Don't test me," Alex growls.

"Chill, man. It's just a joke," Damien interrupts.

"Whatever. I'm done," Alex said as he pulls me to the door.

"What a party popper. Claire, please stay!" Rory begs me but her voice is already muffled behind the forcefully closed door.

Well, that's interesting.