Chapter 9

Chapter 9

       I walked down the stairs with Destiny following, each of us carrying one of the last two boxes of my belongings. Almost immediately after I applied for the new house, I got it. 

       It was ironically on the other side of Destiny's house, but I didn't tell Courtney that. She already hated that I ignored her when she told me to stay away from Destiny. If she found out the house I got was one beside Destiny's, she would stop me from moving in it. So I would be telling her afterwards.

       Besides, Courtney was the one that refused to help me move into my new home because apparently, she had better things to do. 

       I think she was just mad at me.

       Mom and Dad weren't happy that I found a place without telling them I was planning on moving out, ironically. They want me to be responsible, yet they won't let me be independent.

       "Is that everything?" Mom asked when she saw Destiny and I walk down the stairs.

       "Yep," I said, not even making eye contact as I walked towards the front door to leave.

       "You can at least say goodbye," Mom said.

       "Why?" I asked. "I'm going to be two houses down. It's not like I'm leaving the village, and I'll be in work tomorrow so I'm still going to see Dad tomorrow."

       "Daniel...." Mom began, but I ignored her and walked out the door with Destiny quickly following.

       "Why are things still shaky between you and your parents?" Destiny asked me as we began walking back to my new house with the final boxes.

       "The same reason why I'm moving out," I said. "They are insufferable. Too many rules. They're always taking Courtney's side over mine. Blah blah blah."

       "Is Courtney still mad at you?" Destiny asked.

       "When isn't she mad at me?"

       "I don't know, really. I don't think I've ever seen her not mad at you since I've lived here."

       "....That's actually true."

       We got to my new house and I unlocked the door before we walked in. I set the box on the ground and closed the door before flopping onto the couch that I had set there the day before. All the furniture was already moved into the house since I had to buy my own. Today, I brought all of my belongings over to be officially moved in.

       "And let me guess," Destiny said. "These boxes are going to stay packed up for a few weeks?"

       "You really get me," I said. "As much as I don't want to unpack, I do want to prove to my parents that I can be responsible, so I'll try unpacking soon. Possibly tomorrow or in two days. That's not too bad, right?"

       "Nope, not too bad," she said. "If it was me, it would be for a few weeks."

       "Thank you, again, for your help," I said. "I really didn't want to do this alone, and you were the only one who could help."

       "Hey, you've been so kind to me since I moved here, I thought I'd return the favor," she said. "I actually have to go now. I'm going to go meet up with Ariella at The Gold Mine so she could help me learn the blocking for the play. You told me that she was going to back out the night of the play. Is she actually?"

       "Yeah," I said. "She knows how much you wanted the lead and she knows you're a better fit than she is. She only got the part because Courtney helped my mom with the auditions."