The Fire

Something sweeps beside me and I wake instantly. My body is not afraid to leave the soft warmth of my bed for the harsh wooden floor. I expected it to feel cold, but my feet nearly burn as I stand. I tilt my body and step about the floor until my toes feel the matted fabric of my old slippers. As I register the smell of smoke and the strong heat around me I feel around for the ripped jeans and black T-shirt on my floor. I quickly pull my limbs through them and start for my door. The house is small and I know the turns well, so it is mostly easy to get out, despite the flames biting my feet like a litter of restless puppies. 

I stumble out the door and late winter hits me instantly. It's cold again. I kick my feet until the charred slippers stop burning and I hear them fall on the concrete in front of me. A pair of strong hands stop me from stumbling on my injured feet. I reach out and use whatever stands before me to support myself. 

Kevlar 

It must be a fireman's coat. His deep voice greets me. 
"Are you hurt?"
I muster up a couple of words that almost don't come out.
"Mostly shocked, parched, I'm ok."
Heavy feet approach with the rustling of thick fire coats and there is an open water bottle in my hands. I chug a good half of it.
"Is there anybody else in the home?"
This time it's a female's voice. It's more caring, but still strong. 
"No, I live alone here." 
There are more people entering the house, I hear it. The wood crackles and I hear something heavy fall, very heavy. 
"What was that?"

   I spin around, shocked. The man charges inside as somebody screams and the woman pulls me further from the house. I feel the heat and smell ash. Somebody very cold-voiced is on a contact radio.
"The house collapsed, three men are in the debris."
The house was the last of what I had. My blindness kept me from commuting to a workplace, this city is dangerous. I couldn't afford insurance either. I turn and feel a cold tear welling up in my eye. I feel very thirsty and my head hurts. I am falling now. 

   I awake again. This sounds and smells like a hospital, which sounds and smells like money I don't have. The nurse shows up and feels my pulse with her index and middle finger. There is ticking and beeping all around me. Quiet chatter fills the outer halls. A doctor enters. His voice is rich and specialized. More money I don't have. I feel his hands on me, along with instruments and brief questions I only answer with disregard and uncertainty. 

   About an hour later I'm back on my own and in my own clothes. Now what? I have no house, no money, no relatives, and no working eyes. I start walking blindly. 

Literally.