28. Add Ribbon

28. Add Ribbon

Maisie wanted to laugh

Maisie wanted to laugh. She really did. Her shoulders shook a little and her lips wobbled as she tried to keep it in. Everyone probably thought she was holding back a sob or becoming hysterical. The latter was closer to what was actually happening.

Maisie looked at the window of her bakery which was covered in beautifully red spray-painted letters saying; 'Bud Was Here.'

The rest of the guys, Ocean, Tom and Charity were also stood in front of the bakery, mouths open in surprise.

"This is the second time your bakery has been vandalized in less than a month," Keith said. "Who knew bakery's were hot on the market."

"I'm gonna pretend I didn't hear that," Maisie mumbled. "It sounded illegal.

Logan walked up beside Maisie, his hand reaching up to put on her shoulder but then he stopped quickly, still not too sure where he stood. He put his hands in his pockets and opted for poking her gently in the arm.

Maisie flinched, looking at him. "Ow."

"Sorry," Logan muttered. "Um, are you okay?" Do you need a shoulder to cry on?

"Am I the only one finding the humour in this?" Maisie asked, looking around. "The guy literally wrote 'I was here' and as slapstick comedy goes, I'm happily amused."

"Maisie, he defiled your bakery," Ocean said.

"Please never say that sentence to me again," Maisie shuddered.

"But really," Logan said. "Are you sure you're okay? This is the second time someone has messed around with your bakery. And it was just when we raised enough money to start painting."

"Well then we'll need to find a little more money to fix the money," Maisie shrugged. "Honestly Logan, I'm not bothered. He wrote his damn name so obviously he was just messing around and trying to act tough. It's child's play. And no one said I was against playing his game."

Maisie gave Logan a wink and he smiled.

"Alright," he said. "If you say you're good then I believe you."

"Good," Maisie smiled back.

The group opened the door to the bakery and were about to go inside to make a list of what needed to be done when the sound of sirens came from the end of the street. Maisie frowned and pushed her way out of the doorway to see two police cars speed down the road, lights on and siren blaring in all its glory. Maisie ran out and waved her hand as the cars got closer.

One of the cars swerved to a stop and the other continued, flinging itself around the corner until the sirens stopped abruptly. Maisie knocked on the window of her step-dad's sheriff car until he rolled it down.

"Maisie, I'm kind of in the middle of something," Small said.

"Okay Fast and Furious, chill for a second. Who are you arresting? You never arrest anyone," Maisie said.