8. Preheat Oven

8. Preheat Oven

"What the fuck happened to being discreet?"

Nick rubbed the back of his neck and Logan looked out the window, bored. The former actually felt bad about what had gone down yet the latter didn't seem to give two shits. When Maisie had watched a Bud's Bakers bitch come running over to Bud, she knew something had gone wrong. And then when the two men came back and admitted to punching a random guy, Maisie was about to pass out.

"It wasn't our fault!" Nick said.

"So Logan's fist just maneuvered itself into that guys face by itself then?" Maisie raised an eyebrow.

"Well duh," Nick scoffed.

"Hey," Logan said as he slid up onto the top of one of the bakery tables, "don't blame dumbass over there, he didn't do anything wrong. I'm the one that punched him."

"And are you ever going to explain why you punched him?" Maisie asked.

Logan just looked at her until Maisie blinked and slowly straightened up with a frown. The kitchen doors were hauled open and Keith walked out with Charity and Andrew. Keith stopped beside Logan and sat on the table as well.

"I'm sick of baking," he said.

Maisie nodded. "Right yeah, have a break, thanks."

Charity sat beside Keith and Maisie didn't catch the way their hands brushed subtly. She also didn't catch the way Keith tapped her hand back with his finger or the quick look he sent her.

Maisie rubbed her hands down her arms and pouted without realizing. "I'm so tired. I just want to go home."

"Join the fucking club," Nick snorted and Maisie glowered at him.

Andrew lay down on the booth of the table Logan sat on and promptly went to sleep with his arm over his eyes. Maisie noted the position was one that the boys did often. She also noted that sleeping was something they did often too. Logan leaned back on the table and blinked slowly, his eyes were a little red at the corners and Maisie honestly couldn't tell if it was because he was tired or if he was high.

Maisie looked over at the doors to the bakery and her heart sank. No one was there, no one was coming and money was becoming nonexistent.

***

If Maisie was going to be bluntly honest, Charity needed to calm the fuck down.

Maisie sat at a table in the bakery, trying to get her twelve page essay done for the next day. The guys were in the kitchen doing the last few batches of muffins and cupcakes that needed to be made for a smaller order. They weren't exactly amazing at the whole 'getting a cake to rise' part but surprisingly weren't bad at smaller things like mini cakes. Nick was the most surprising part though.