0.1 - break the fall

The words of the A Day To Remember song "Out of Time" echoes through my ears. My eyes fall down to my high tops, dirty as usual. I make a mental note to clean them - which I will forget like I always to. I admire my black 'Bring Me The Horizon' sweatshirt, proud of my choice this morning.

I feel the wind blow against my face as I skate down the beach, the salty air tickling my cheeks. I remember the first time I rode my skateboard and fell flat, scrapping my whole right side. I adjust the right side of my grey beanie self consciously.

That's the last thing I can remember thinking before my body slams into something - someone. "Fuck." I hear a deep voice say.

I look up to see who the voice belongs to. Dark hair, tan skin, brown eyes.

"Maybe listen to the bands on your t-shirts before you wear them. Mommy might not like it," our eyes lock for a moment before I regain myself and stand up.

That's all I had time to register before he begins to walk away saying,"Watch where you go next time, yeah?"

I watch him walk away, still breathless, my chest rising and falling.

-

The last day of school. Finally. All the stress and countless nights without sleep would finally be over. I look over toward Luke's dorm and see him closing his door and walking out. I run to him quickly throwing my arms around him.

"Finally," I breathe out as he lets me go.

"I know right," Luke replies. "Sorry again for like the millionth time for not being able to walk with you to class today."

"Yeah, yeah, your best friend wanted to eat with you this morning. Trust me Luke I know I know. You've explain it too many times."

"I'm so glad I left." I tell him honestly as we start walking down the hall of the dorms remembering our old washed up town.

"Not because of me I hope." Luke says jokingly looking down.

"You know why."

"I know, Jade it's just I might not have been going with you is all," Luke says as we walk into the parking lot.

"And that would have sucked not to have you by my side this year, Hemmings," I reply.

Luke looks around the parking lot searching for someone. His friend.

"Scared your lame ass best friend ditched you?" I ask following him. Purposely ignoring our previously conversation.

"Nope he didn't," Luke says obviously spotting whomever he was looking for.

I look toward the direction Luke is and I go speechless. That was the guy who I crashed into. I thought I wouldn't have to deal with his snarky side comments any more. I notice Luke is walking over to him, leaving me standing alone. I chase aster him asking if I could ride with him. He agrees of course still feeling bad about this morning.

"Where are we going?" I asks interrupting Luke's laughter with his friend.

"Can I see your phone Jade?" Luke asks me ignoring my question.

I sigh and hand it to him. Luke plugs the phone into the car and starts to play "Break Free" by Of Mice & Men from the speakers. I lean back in my seat looking out the window at the various houses we drove past.

I hear a chuckle come from Luke's friend, I question him about what's so funny.

"It's nothing really. I just-I didn't see you liking this music is all," he replies.

Luke looks back at me with a smirk. I simply shake me head at his response.

"How many times do you think I've been told that Luke?" I ask him.

"Too many. I knew Calum would say that," he shrugs.

I slump back in my seat ignoring Luke's friend's comment. I watch out of the window as we drive past countless houses with palm trees in front of nearly each one. I noticed how much happier Luke seemed now, with his real friend. They always seemed to be laughing about some memory they shared from their past together.

I thought for sure Luke and his friend had forgotten about my presence in the back seat. That is until the song changed to, "I'd Rather Make Mistakes Than Nothing At All" by Mayday Parade and Luke's friend said to me, "Holy shit you really do have a good taste in music. What was your name again?" he asks looking back at me for a quick moment.

"Her name's Jade," Luke answers for me, knowing about my uneasiness with people from his past. I smile at him in thanks.

"Well Jade, I'm Calum," he tells me.

"Hi Calum," I respond softly.

"You don't really talk much do you, Jade?" Calum chuckles looking back at me.

"Depends on who I'm talking to," I shrug.

Calum made me nervous to say the least. Especially how he kept looking back at me somehow and giving me a smirk. I've always been someone who's easy to intimidate, although I hate to admit it. The friends from Luke's past always seem to easily scare me.

There was a long silence with only music blaring after that until Calum asked Luke which way to go to make sure that he was going the correct way.

-

well thank you for actually reading the entire chapter thank you if you made it this far

sadly i dont like this or how it ended and i dont know what im doing and yes im aware my writing sucks and yeah i made it in cali just like any other fanfic

btw its the first year of college that they just finished and luke is jade's close friend and basically her only friend at college ok cool

the titles will be songs that somehow have references or relevance to the chapter

and im really not proud of this at all and i have ideas but who knows what really gonna happen and its like 2:37 am and i just finished and yeah

i wanted to have at least three chapters done by the time i posted this but i needed to put something out

really long authors note im sorry but please be sure to

vote

comment

and subscribe

love you all lots