Chapter 3 : The parcel from the dead

Comincia dall'inizio

From: Amanda dela Cruz
To: Helena Angeles

Intriguing but she chose to wait.

"How's the house, Ninong?" usisa ni West.

Kumunot ng noo ni Ninong Ben kasabay ng paghigop nito ng mainit na kape.

"I'm afraid we've reached a dead end with that house, West, Helena. Ayon sa may-ari ay may nagrenta ng rest house six months ago. Paid in full. Naka-advance lahat pati ang para sa linya ng kuryente, tubig at telepono. It was an elderly guy. Writer daw. I searched for the man named Ferdie Ramos. He's 65, bachelor, walang ibang kamag-anak. He died six months ago. Just two days after mai-settle ang renta ng rest house. Walang witnesses na nakakita kung may nagpupunta nga sa bahay na iyon. Kahit kotse, approaching the house, wala silang alam. The only clue they have that there were people inside ay yung bukas ang ilaw sa gabi at may nakikita silang anino. Dalawang tao. Isang babae at isang lalaki."

"How about the bodies, Ninong? Nakilala pa po ba kung sinu-sino sila?" si Helena naman ang nagtanong.

Lalong kumunot ang noo ng tinanong. Umiling ito.

"There were no bodies, Helena."

"Po? That can't happen. I saw all four of them! Isa sa kanila si Tere!"

Umiling uli si Ninong Ben.

"We didn't find any dead bodies, Helena. I'm sorry. And if it is about Tere, I investigated and she was dead two months ago. Bangungot daw. I have the address kung saan siya nakalibing if you wanted to visit her."

Siya naman ang umiling-iling. That can't happen. Sigurado siya sa mga nakita niya! There were dead bodies there!

"What about her eyes? May nabanggit ba ang family niya na abnormality nung namatay siya? That she's missing her eyes?"

"No. Wala silang nabanggit."

Lalo na siyang naguguluhan. Pinisil-pisil niya ang sariling mga daliri habang kagat-kagat ang sariling mga labi.

Napatingin si West sa kanya, saw her in her usual thinking habits. He figured they should not interrupt her.

"How about the cause of fire, Ninong? Na-identify po ba?"

"LPG tank, West. Naiwang bukas. Sumabog."

"But, personally... do you believe that that is all there is to it?"

Huminga ng malalim si Ninong Ben, his eyes fixed on Helena.

"I have been to a lot of places, West. Uncle Leo knows that. The only thing I could tell you about our culprit is that she has the ability to borrow bodies. I happen to have a... little glimpse of the house before it burned. There were a lot of different footprints, but they moved using the same energy. Seems like someone is making good use of a handy silver cord."

Napatingin si Helena kay Ninong Ben.

"It is a 'she'?" usisa ni West, "Sigurado kayo, Ninong?"

"I cannot be one hundred percent sure but... I can say it is a 'she'." Humigop ito ng kape bago nagpatuloy, "And the other bodies... we haven't seen the dead frames but I know who they are. So..."

Inilapag nito ang kapirasong papel sa mesa. Nakasulat kamay ang apat na pangalan at apat na addresses. Agad iyong kinuha ni Helena. Binasa.

Napasinghap siya. Kilala nila ni West ang lahat ng naroon.

"They were all dead so I included the addresses of cemeteries where they rest."

Hindi siya makaimik.

"Thank you, Ninong," si West.

Tumayo ito. "I can't stay for dinner. Tell Uncle Leo na dumaan ako."

Tumayo silang dalawa ni West. She cannot dare to look into Ninong Ben's eyes. Mabigat ang pakiramdam niya at alam niyang madali iyong basahin sa mga mata niya.

"Seems like you cannot escape being the fated one, huh," sabi nito at tinapik siya sa balikat. "We will always be here, Helena. We had been there for your parents when they were alive, we will continue to be here for you. So, just... come back."

Napakagat siya sa labi. Those were the words na kinatatakutan niyang marinig: Come back.

She does not want to come back. Whatever gift or resposibility or curse it is, she didn't want it. She tried hard to live a normal life for eight years. She succeeded. She didn't want it to end.

"Very well, then..." anito bago siya tinapik-tapik uli.

Ang huli niyang narinig ay ang mga palayong yabag ni Ninong Ben.

They sat again. Tungo ang ulo niya. Tahimik sila ni West.

"Open it," sabi nito.

Hindi siya kumilos. Her other self had been arrested because of the woman's death and now she has a box from the dead woman with her name written on it.

"What if there's something in there to implicate me of murder?" tanong niya.

Ngumiti si West. For the first time since they were together.

"It will be a riot. They will have to arrest you, too, and there will be the two of yourself in prison. Everyone we know will be surprised. They will think that you were born triplets."

She gritted her teeth and hissed at him. Minsan na nga lang itong ngumiti at magkomento ng mahaba, tunog sarkasmo pa!

"Is that the only time you can smile? Kapag sarcastic ka?"

"Are you a chicken?" tanong nito.

Uminit ang pakiramdam niya mula sa literal na pag-init ng dugo.

"No. Are you a pervert?" bawi niya. Alam niyang ininspeksyon nito ang katawan niya mula sa dress na suot pa rin niya hanggang sa ngayon.

Nawala ang ngiti nito. Namula. She smiled. She knew she won this one.

"No. I just need to—"

"Good."

Natahimik sila. Natuon uli ang pansin sa box.

"Are you opening it or do I have to be the one to—"

Bago matapos ang sasabihin ni West ay kinuha niya ang box at binuksan. Neat. Even her full address were completely written out. At ang bumungad sa kanya sa ibabaw ng box ay isang nakatuping sulat. It says,

"If it is 6:30, open me up."

Sabay silang sumulyap ni West sa pendulum clock sa sulok ng silid. 6:30. She immediately opened the letter and read it.

"By this time, I am sure I'm long dead. Give Uncle Ben my thanks in giving this box to you, Helena. If you're wondering how it got to him, well, I tried to hire a courier to send it to you but knowing that the other you will be getting arrested as my murderer, I decided it's wise to route it to Uncle Ben. Now, let us not waste time.

My body, by this time, will be at St. Marian's Morgue. I have a simple request to you and West.

Please steal it for me." #