Chapter 2

"Clink clink clink" Mr. Charles stands up from the head of the long table.
       "I believe a toast is in order" his voice bombs through the room. "To Clairissa for a splendid job as always"
     "To Clairissa" the crowd follows his lead.
       I give a small head nod and a smile to satisfy Mr. Charles. Every year it's the same thing a preformance for the town and a free dinner after. Mr Charles calls it "charity" I smile at the thought Mr. Charles doing something for someone else. What a joke! I mean it would be a very nice gesture, and he could maybe fools some people about it being gueine if it wasn't for the publicity he gets every year.
      I look around the table as I see the large banner with my face on it with big letters reading.
"Come join us June, 14th for the annual performance brought to you by MR. CHARLES."
      My eyes also catches the news reporters, and the lady behind the camera from the newspaper. I try not to stare as I roll my eyes at them. Why do I agree to this every year. 10 years in a row, I must be the worst push over, or I guess I just love the dancing part. I decide to go with the second one, and then return to looking around the room.
      I noticed that Trey wasn't at the table. Why would he come for the preformance and just leave. My thoughts are interrupted but a sudden hand on my should and a light kiss placed on my cheek.
   "You danced beautiful Clara, as always" Owen whispers in my ear.
     I give him a smile and stand up from my spot at the large table to reach my arms around Owens neck.
   "Thank you" I whisper in his ear.
    "Here can you come with me for a couple minutes"
     "Sure"
      He gabs my hand and races me back into the attitorium. We both stand there looking out into the empty chairs. Owen turns to me gathering my hands in his.
     " I love you you know that" he asks with tention in his eyes.
      "I love you too" I say looking straight into his dark brown eyes.
       He gently kisses me on the lips. Then pulls back and meets my eyes.
       Here goes that smile again the one I do just to please everyone else. If it was up to me I would never smile but as Mrs. Montagu always says "pleasing others will please yourself".
        "Owen!" I hear from the hallway from the bombing voice that's oh to familiar.
         "awww, Owen I've been looking everywhere for you" Mr. Charles says as he opens the door to backstage. "I want you to meet someone"
         "I'm sorry I guess this moment has been cut short my love, we will continue this tonight after the party?"
          I nod as Owen kisses me on the check and runs off.
          If I didn't know any better I would think Owen was Mr. Charles son. Mr. Charles is always so proud of him and flaunts him around as if he is a trophie that belongs to him. I roll my eyes at the thought and glance at the seats one last time, but I find that this time they are not empty but the very back left seat is occupied by a man. A man I can't quiet make out.
          I squint my eyes and try to see the mysterious man. "Hello" I shout cautiously. I'm very surprised when I receive an answer.
        "Sorry... I.... I was just leaving" the man answers.
        "Who is that"
         " Uh... Trey....Trey Walker."
          "Oh" I answer as I start down the steps to get to the seats. I pick a seat close by him and sit. "Why are you here?"
           "I don't know to noizy in the dinning hall"
           "No like here in the building. You never come to these?" I ask with a complexes look on my face.
          "I need to get out more" he answers with a shrug of his shoulders.
          I giggle "me too"
          "You should get back out there it is your party and all."
           "Ha! My party, never" I say with sarcasm. "But I probably should get back" . I frown and start heading out the back door.
           "Clara?" Trey stops me. "Happy 18th birthday."
         I stand there in shock just staring at him. No one knows it's my birthday not even Mr. Charles. The only people who ever knew was my birth parents.
        "How did you know it was my birthday?"
         "Lucky guess." He smirks
     I don't smile I just run the only thing I'm good at. Running away from uncomfortable situations.