Chapter 24 - The Hard Goodbye

Start from the beginning

"Why?" she asks sternly.

"It's... something I have to bear alone, that's all." I answer faintheartedly.

I feel a gentle hoof resting on my shoulder as she says to me sympathetically.  "You don't have to bear it by yourself."

"Yes.  I do." I say firmly as I slowly remove her hoof off of me.  Then, I steadily walk away from her before standing in my lonesome at the center of the balcony.

"Don't you trust me?" she asks me out of concern as she follows me.

"It's more than just a matter of trust!" I respond abruptly.  "It's... it's nothing, alright?!  Let's just leave it at that!"

"Ford, talk to me."

"I can't."

"Please, Ford?"

"I can't."

"I just want to help you--"

"RAINBOW, PLEASE!  I DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT ANYMORE!"

What have I done?  I can't believe I did that!  After my sudden outburst, I see Rainbow taking a few steps back away from me with a fearful expression on her face.  Seeing how terrifying she is of me, I frighten myself on what I have become.

"Rainbow... I'm sorry... it's just that..." I apologize in a trembling voice.

I wanted to tell her.  I really want to tell her the truth.  But I'm so afraid on what will happen if I do.  How it will change everything to her and to her world if I ever tell her anything about myself.  I start feel something watery in my eyes.  I swiftly turn away from Rainbow Dash again as I walk back to the ledge of the balcony with my head hanging low.

"Listen Rainbow, I appreciate all the times that we have shared together.  To me, they are some of the best moments that have ever happened to me in my life.  But soon... I'll need to go home, and I won't be coming back unfortunately.  But hey, you shouldn't be so worry about me.  You still got your friends and family.  And you're this close to finally achieving your ultimate dream, and I couldn't be happier and prouder for you than I am right now.  You should just... forget about me, and go on with your life.  I'll probably just hold you back from becoming the greatest Wonderbolt in history.  You don't need me to get in your way any more--"

"I DON'T CARE ABOUT ALL OF THAT RIGHT NOW!  I ONLY CARE ABOUT YOU!"

My heart couldn't take it anymore as tears begin to gradually pour out of my eyes.  It's bad that enough that I had to leave her, but now Rainbow Dash doesn't want me to leave at all.  I really hate myself for doing this to her.

"Ford... please... don't go." she pleads to me softly.
"I'm sorry, Rainbow Dash." I respond quietly before my turning my head to see her one last time with a gentle smile.  "I'll never forget for all that you have done for me.  Thank you... and... goodbye."

Without a moment of hesitation, I kick off into the dark sky as I fly off into the distance.  I couldn't turn back now, and I don't have anywhere else to go before I see Twilight tomorrow morning.  As I fly aimlessly, my aching heart feels heavy, my eyes get really watery, and I couldn't be able to fly straight anymore.  I'm getting so emotional right now, that I decide to find a cloud to pour out all of my sorrow into it.  Once I find a suitable cloud, I stuff my pitiful face into it as I let the cloud soak in all of my uncontrollable tears.  I'm so pathetic right now!
I sought to make it the best night ever, now it has become the worst night
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
...