Chapter One

Cherrykit pounced at a moss ball when she heard a voice ring throughout the camp.

"May all cats able to climb a large birch tree gather beneath TallBranch for a meeting, including the kits?" Cinderstar called.

The red furred shecat's paws padded among the lush grass, her tail high.

"Is it my apprentice ceremony? I'm not sure, I don't keep track of my age." She muttered.

"Why hello, Cherrykit. Come to see my sister's ceremony?" Moonpaw snickered.

"What? I thought I-" Cherrykit stuttered.

"You've turned five moons today, not six! I asked Emeraldsky." 

"How would she know? She isn't my mother, she's yours!"

"She's your mother's sister. Ha, you won't be an apprentice for another moon!" Moonpaw laughed and padded off. "Bye, runt!"

Cherrykit stalked off toward Amberflight angrily.

"What's wrong, kit?" Her mother said smoothly.

"Moonpaw is being mean. She called me runt!"

"Emeraldsky! Come over here." Amberflight called.

"Yes, sister?" The shining green eyed queen padded over.

"Cherrykit here tells me that Moonpaw called her a runt and only five moons. I would know my own daughter's age, and I know for a fact that she's six moons." Amberflight's orange eyes glittered.

"She must have gotten her mixed up with Flickerkit, who's only three moons currently." Emeraldsky's sister purred and padded off to speak with Moonpaw.

"I have gathered all of you here today to give a kit their apprentice name." Cinderstar announced. "May Cherrykit step forward?"

The tiny kit shuffled forward shyly.

"Cherrykit, is it your choice to become a warrior apprentice and train to become a powerful hunter and fighter?"

"Yes." Cherrykit said a bit too loudly, causing a round of laughs to wash over the cats.

"Cherrykit, you have reached the age of six moons, and it is time for you to be apprenticed. From this day on, until you receive your warrior name, you will be known as Cherrypaw. Your mentor will be Blossomsun. I hope Blossomsun will pass down all she knows to you." Cinderstar purred. "Blossomsun, this is your first apprentice. I expect you to pass down your traits to Cherrypaw."

"I will." Blossomsun nodded as Cherrypaw touched noses with her.

"Cherrypaw! Cherrypaw! Cherrypaw!" The clan cheered. 

The she-cat left to her new den and curled into her nest.